Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 Hp. Briggs and Stratton single cylinder engines

JBute

I was wondering what experience the club members have had with the 16 Hp. single cylinder Briggs engines? Are parts still available? Are they worth rebuilding? I have a Simplicity Sovereign with one of them. The engine runs yet but smokes badly and uses oil. Should I consider repowering?Any help wpould be appreciated> "Thanks Much" Jim Bute

While I am a long time Kohler user, I just had a 16 Briggs cast iron rebuilt last fall. Parts are available and really the Briggs has more guts to withstand operator abuse than the Kohler. I never have had problems with Kohler, but I keep the oil and air filter changed and keep them clean- most people don't. I would take it apart and mic all the tolerances to see if it is worth fixing. If so, thats the route I would take. My opinion. Sam

My 16 hp Briggs & Stratton engine in my 1973 Simplicity 3416H was rebuilt 6 years ago with .020 piston & rings,does not use any oil yet. The old B&S cast iron engines are worth rebuilding.Parts are still available.Most of my old Simplicity's & Allis Chalmers tractors have Briggs & Stratton engines. Karl[A href='http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html']http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html[/a]

Jim it looks like your getting the same advise that I would give you. I have found that the briggs engines of the past are so durable that they are almost like a timex watch they take a "licken and keep a ticken" ha. But do it write the first time it may cost more rebuilding it that way but like Karl said after 6 years and still not burning oil "not bad". And Sam is write on target with his suggestion also. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Briggs engine question. As a retired diesel mechanic I look forward to a carefull rebuild of that Briggs engine. "THANKS AGAIN" Jim Bute