Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Imacarguytoo

Rebuilt the Carb, Still Wont Run Right

Imacarguytoo
I rebuilt the carb on the Brigs twin 16. I got it running But i cant get it to run worth a darn under a load. I can cover the carb with my hand. It dies (good) Shut the screw to the air (dies) I shut the fuel mixture screw (dies) So to me the carb is in good working order. Throttle blades and so on are in good shape. But i cant get it to run good under a load. Soon as i turn the deck on it stumbles and will not come out of it, till i shut the deck off and turn the throttle down. Ive set the fuel and air at 1/2 turn out and went from there. Turning each a lil at a time. Oh and i cant get it to start unless i put the choke on. Im really at a loss now!!

firefoxz1
1) Does your carb have the soleniod on the side? If so pull it out and cut the tip off and then screw it back in. If not go to 2. Had one that did something like that because the soleniod wouldn't open far enough. 2) I would try richening the mixture more. I believe it only has an idle mixture screw, while on idle did you turn it out till it stumble and back in about a half turn? Most of these carbs I've done require about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 turns out if memory serves me.

Imacarguytoo
There are 2 screws on the carb. I was told tonite the top one is for idle and the bottom one is for full throttle operation. I messed with the idle screw. I got it to idle and now it starts good. Still more tuning sunday.

Imacarguytoo
How do i tell? The plugs are horizontal, does that tell ya? For an update. The carb is spitting gas out the top of it. Once i get the low side set i try to set the high side and then the low side it messed up. I was told today with all that i need to adjust the valves. I have no clue how to do it. I just ran a compression test. 80 Psi in both cylinders.