Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ibelee

Help with Voltage Regulator

ibelee
I follwed the instructions one step at a time. Problem is I have one wire left that is not identified in the instructions. The two Voltage Regulators are definately different. Where does this last wire go to? See pics.

firefoxz1
If the one you bought has no terminal one the back: I believe looking from your second pic left is field which should be correct, middle is gen (where your extra wire should go), and right is bat where the one wire on the middle should go along with your light wire.

ibelee
On the existing V/R, I have two wires going to the S/G. One goes to the back of the existing V/R. There are no back terminals to the new V/R.

firefoxz1
One wire goes to the left terminal (individual) you have this correct, one goes to the middle (the one from the S/G that has the starter wire on it) the wire you have extra. The wire with the fuse holder would go on the right terminal along with your wire that is there. F = Field: The individual wire off the S/G G or Gen = Generator: The wire from the S/G where the battery cable is B or Bat = battery: output from the votage regulator for lights and charging the battery. In your case Arm=Armature which should also = Gen

Morris
I dug this out of an older post. This shows a battery ignition system instead of magneto coil, so be aware it's not totally like yours, but the S/G wiring should be right.
[img]/club2/attach/Morris/BatteryIgnitionSystemWiringDiagramModified.jpg[/img]

B.Ikard
Correct me if I am wrong but the difference is one regulator is "2 pole" and your replacement is a 3 pole unit. The 2 pole regulators were used on the smaller engines and the 3 pole on the larger. Both will function as advertised but the wiring is different. Brent

ibelee
Actually, the one I'm replacing is a 3 terminal with the additional terminal on the back making for a total of 4. The one I am installing does not have the terminal on the back.

ibelee
Success! Thanks to all (especialy Firefox) for your help. The problem turned out to be the S/G, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the V/R before I replaced the S/G. Now if she'll just stay running long enough to get my new tiller hooked up and get the garden in...