Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bpg

3410 beveled box noise

bpg
Is it me or do these old tractors make alot of noise , coming from th beveled gear box? also my local dealer said I should have a filter on my tran. system , I cant find one anywhere under thier. Anyone own one of these and are familiar with them ? model 3410 S

PatRarick
I have little, if any noise from the BGB on any of my tractors. What kind of noise are you getting? Whining, rattling, grinding? Don't know what your dealer's been smoking, but there's no transmision filter on a 3410S. Transmission filters were only on the hydro transmissions.

Taddy
I have been around several of these tractors from the mid sixties right up through the mid nineties. None have ever displayed any unusual noise to speak of from the bevel gear box. My 95 Soveriegn had a worn out gear and cross shaft to the point of needing rebuilt, and it made no noise either. My guess is if there is excessive noise, it may be bad bearing(s) at the input shaft or cross shaft. Much like a bad blade spindle bearing. I've had blade bearings make my ears bleedC. Also I have a 3416H and have no idea where or if there is a filter on a shuttle. But I can tell you the filter on this old Vickers hydro unit is down inside the long, round, vertical reservour. Hope this helps. Todd

Taddy
bpg Be sure to check for excessive backlash and endplay in the cross shaft, and any wobbling of the input shaft. If you've got noise, something's needing replaced. At the RPM's these little gears turn, if something is coming unglued, other parts are soon to be damaged. Todd

Willy
I would check the drive shaft yoke in front of the gear box and the front input shaft bearing. I had a yoke come lose and beat the bearing and housing to the point I had to line bore the bearing seat. Good luck!