Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 Trans question

Morris

A quick question on the AC B-1 Transmission... On the parts breakdown (I'm actually using the Simplicity 700/725 manual for part reference) it shows item P as two set screws, 5/16" p/n 715019. When I was going over the unit this evening I noticed these two set screws were missing. The holes are on the top of the trans. Is this just a matter of finding two like-sized screws and putting them in, or do they connect with something inside the tranny that has to be lined up prior to putting them in? Trans seems to turn fine in all gears and shifter seems to move ok. Haven't been able to actually drive it yet due to engine not quite being ready. Thanks...

If your talking about the two fairly deep holes right on top those two set screws lock the shifting shafts in place. Can be put in after it's together as far as I know.

Thanks Marty. Hmmm, that raises a couple of other questions....the manual page this is listed on is a poor copy, and the description of the part is blurred. Can't read it except I can tell it's a 5/16" but the length is obscured. How long are these screws? The other question is, should the tranny be in neutral before attempting to screw them in?