Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKB Parts

powermax_paul

Anybody have a CCKB Onan engine to sell for parts? I have a damaged rotor magnet ring and timing cover because the stator came loose and destroyed these parts. Anybody have a good fix for this? I know Harley Davidson used a similar magnet ring. Has anyone ever compared these permanent magnet rotors?

Thanks, Don. I'll check it out. Actually, the magneto is rectified to give a 12VDC output. My engine does have external coil, points and condenser. I had been thinking about an external alternator but haven't found one small enough yet.

Paul, Hi again Paul, The Crapola...I, er, um, I mean Motorola alternators that originally came on these cars were relatively tiny. I tore the one out of mine and replaced it with a one-wire Delcotron, but it just BARELY fit into the engine compartment. Not sure now if my car has a mag or not. I know it will run with no battery attatched. Hmmmm.

I run a CCKB in a Fairmont rail speeder but this particular engine uses an external coil and an alternator as opposed to a magneto. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert a tractor over to this setup? I can hook you up with a guy that wheel and deals in railroad motorcars that has a bunch of these engines, but they're set up just like what I decribed above. Let me know... Don

I just found this one for sale in the ads over at www.narcoa.org. Dunno how much modification would be required to make it work in a tractor, but it would work great if ya could! Onan CCKB, Complete with Motorola 35amp alt.,and carb heater. $450. obo. Dirk Ras Jr. (203) 481-3601 after 6 pm

Don, If you ever take your engine apart, maybe check to see if it does have a rotor magnet ring pressed into the flywheel. I have a perfect flywheel I can trade (along with a fee for your hassle) for one WITH a rotor magnet ring. There should be 12 magnets molded into a cast white metal ring that's pressed into the back of the flywheel. This makes up the permanent magnet rotor of Onan's integral alternator. The stator is mounted to the timing gear cover and has 12 poles with windings that lead directly to a Syncro rectifier. Do you still have the Motorola alternator and if so, does it still work?

Paul, I highly doubt that this engine ever had a flywheel-mounted stator on it, as it came from the factory with an external alternator. Remember this particular engine I'm talking about is in a railroad motorcar. These vehicles have a LOT of extra acessories in place (headlights, warning lights, horn, etc), and as such the alternator was no doubt added to handle the extra electrical load. I'm afraid I do not have the Motorola alternator anymore as I removed it when it failed and promplty deposited it in the circular file (which is where ALL of those units belong, IMHO). Good luck, Don