Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wminmi

saved another one, and a question

wminmi
saved this little Allis 208 from the crusher saturday :D Not much to look at, but does have some parts that can be salvaged. Here's the question: it has a 4-speed forward, 1-speed reverse transaxle/rearend that seems to work fairly well. Would there be any advantage to swapping this axle into the little 707 i have? And if i do attempt the swap, would i be able to keep the "hi-lo"?

MarksA-C
Hey William, try talking to Skot71. He has about 2 tractors worth in parts for that model. It would be worth saving, they are nice tractors.

perry
good find. feels good when you can save one does'nt it. looks like lots of good parts on there. you can send that front bumber to mark.

Kent
Unless I'm mistaken, the B-207/208 has a cast-iron Peerless tranny in it, while the equivalent Simplicity machines had either a 2-speed or 3-speed Simplicity-made tranny in them. They are not physically the same, and as far as I can tell the easiest way to swap them would be to swap out the entire rear of the tractor from the center pivot back... My neighbor had a 707 and we both scratched our heads over how we could fit a B-208 tranny in there -- and he concluded "it's not worth the hassle"... so we never tried it.

wminmi
Mark ~ nah, not worth finding all the missing pieces for i don't think. Better off for parts to help others :D Perry ~ that bumper was actually the reason i snagged it, it's almost perfectly straight, unlike the one on the 707 :O Kent ~ thanx for the info. They are different size wise but i haven't actually pulled things apart enough to see how bad the swap would be or how involved it would be. Might be worth it if i could gain a little top end speed and keep the "hi-lo" option for tilling or something :D

MarksA-C
Well, engine, front wheels, and a hood could be a start. then maybe a grill.

wminmi
i dunno, didn't really get it to fix but who knows

MarksA-C
Thats also what you said about your Wards...4i

wminmi
ya got me there }:)

MarksA-C
:p:Q

skot71
Shoot, just send that thing my way! I have a running 208 and one and a half 207s for parts. Good find.

Ketchamized
William, Nice find, bud! 8D