Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trailevator

EricD

Here is the latest trailer I've been tinkering with. I had posted a photo of what it looked like in the woods a couple weeks ago. After getting it home I unstuck the passenger side hub by removing the rusted brake guts from the hubs (did both sides figuring could replace it all with new later if wanted to). This has needle bearings so I greased them up, put on some old but decent tires, cleaned out the bed (found diamond plate albeit rusty-but solid) and then replaced the old torn up fenders with new ones I had bought at a tag sale like four years ago for $3.sm04 I was wondering what I'd do with those fenders but knew when I saw them for $3 they were coming back to my garage pr8 Took some time yesterday to get it rewired for a four pin flat. Wired up two sets of rear lights (yeah I'm a geek) and some rear running lights. Had a hard time getting a good ground so ran a dedicated ground wire back from the toungue. Didn't get to the front running lights yet. Fabbed up a quickie plate light bracket to make it fully legal. Also removed the combination hydraulic hand pump/reseviour to consider rebuilding or replacing with a system I purchased from Oldstuff619. I'm not sure just what I'm working with just yet. The system original to this seems to be a pressure up gravity down mechanism (like a cherry picker). I'm not sure how pressure would be released with a power unit but am guessing that a control valve would at least allow the pressure to return to the resevior? Thoughts? Haven't decided if I'll be replacing the surge brake system with a new one or if I'll just put a new 2inch hitch on. I like the idea of the surge system but it gets expensive going through these and I will probably only carry the big loads with the dump truck. By the looks of the hydraulic cylinders they'll need to be replaced (I think).

Heres a picture of the underbelly. It's amazing how well this has held up over the years. The dark spots are overspray from the can of lube I was under there with.

I should have taken some photos of the cantelever mechanism and some better close-ups of the cylinders and the tailgate. It is wedge shaped so when the trailer sits one the ground it is a ramp platform. So what do you guys think? Here's the other batch of close ups.

I worry about this type of ball connector, does it have a security locking feature that is missing?

This lever somehow locks/unlocks or is just plain connected to the round bar at the end of the leaf spring system. What do you know about this?

Even if you don't get the hydro system working looks a well built trailer. Sweet having fenders handy^. From the looks of the pitting in the cyl I think they may be history. Would likely leak pretty bad at the best. If you found two way cyl to replace them with it might be easier to hook up a 12 volt hydro to it, not sure on that though, not much experience with hydro stuff.

the cylinder look like a plow cylinder in the photo they still make a trailer like this it will go up to the height of a loading dock or flat to the ground the hd 8000 lbs one goes for over $8000

Yeah, when I was in the vending business we were debating about buying some of these for the fleet and looked at several. They go down flat and then raise up, and they are very sturdy. Should be decent when cleaned up. I had an old tow dolly with that type of hitch, too. I worried about it popping loose, but it never did. Definitely want chains with it.