Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b-10 garden tractor

DorneyMA1

intermitent problem somethimes my b-10 as no fire at the spark plug and somethimes when its running it cuts off like turning the key off if someone can help me i would appriciate. thank you

Mario, Sounds like it could be a few things,Bad ign Sw.,wiring to points,points and or cond. A chewed up spark plug wire by a rodent[no not you F..d!]inside blower housing, bad spark plug and possible bad coil when she gets hot,to name a few things! Regards dlc

A problem I had with my tractor in the past was condensation building up under the cover for the points. I solved this by putting a small bead of rtv or any gasket maker to keep water from entering the slot were the wires go through the cover.

Mario, may I relate a problem I had that may help you. I spent three days one time trying to get a friend's Economy running. It would fire once or twice and then quit. Since it had been stored over winter and had spark, I thought it had water in gas from condensation. I cleaned the tank and lines, rebuilt carb, etc. All to find that the spark plug was bad. It would spark when I checked it outside the head, but fail under pressure. My local repair shop has had a continual problem with this with Champion plugs (they no longer use them}. However I am sure this can happen with any brand. My advice, before you spend a lot of time, try a new plug. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.
Rich Baxter

Yes and double yes! Rich's 2 cents is worth gold. I have had the same problem more than once - cured with a new spark plug!!!

MS

I agree try a plug first. Then check the carb for some water in it. A little blob of water will roll around in the float bowl and when it gets uuder the main jet is like a cork. Also when these engines get al lot of miles the camshaft gets a groove worn in the bump where the points break. Often when the points are set at 020 the timing is off then. Sometimes they like to run better by turning the points in until running is affected, then out the same, and setting in between. I have seen these engines die when you would go down a steep bank, and the cam had a lot of end play, it would seem to cause the plunger to ride out of the worn groove and up on the unworn edge. When this happens adjusting as above seems to let you run a few more miles out of a tired old engine. If you overhaul one Briggs or Kohler look carefully at the camshaft where the point plunger runs. GOOD LUCK, Al

Al, Thanks for the information on the cam. I don't currently have a problem with it but it's good to be warned of the problem. Tim