Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foot controlled hydrostat

npalen

Sure would be nice to have a foot control as hands are usually busy trying to steer (especially with a front end loader) and or operating the 3-point lift, pto clutch etc. I remember seeing a discussion where someone reassigned the brake pedal with linkage to control the forward speed of the hydrostat. Wondering on a 720 or 9020 if a person could cut a hole in the side of the chassis and extend the hydro trunnion shaft out the side with a foot pedal attached for forward and reverse foot control. Probably would have to disconnect the existing hydrostat linkage to do this? Any and all advice appreciated. Nelson

I'm working on foot pedal for my 7117. Problem I have is that it is too sensitive. I'm thinking of gearing it down with chain and sprockets, yet retain enough travel for full forward and reverse. Also thought of relocating lever to opposite side of tractor,

I was wondering about the sensitivity issue. Are you using a combination toe/heel pedal of some sort?

Seems like a centering detent would be an important feature for a foot control. Would be great if the hand control could be retained along with the added foot control. That would probably fall under the title of "having your cake and eating it too"?

I disconnected lever from actuator pin. I made a pedal using two brake pedals, so it was heel and toe. What happens, is you decide to go forward and move pedal too far, so you use heel portion to return pedal. You do not have detent any longer so you go too far and go into reverse. It is fine in open spaces but in close quarters it is scary. AND I do not have clutch /brake pedal. May be I could relocate that to opposite side of tractor

Looks like a guy might be able to utilize a heavy duty control cable like this.[url][/url]http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007050110323459&item=1-2294&catname=engines Might be able to attach it to the existing hand lever and retain the detent feature? Seems like there are times when a self-centering feature would be handy on a hydrostat. Release hand or foot pressure and it would return to "neutral". A dashpot of some type might be in order, however, to avoid launched over the hood. Nelson

quote:
Originally posted by npalen
Seems like a centering detent would be an important feature for a foot control. Would be great if the hand control could be retained along with the added foot control. That would probably fall under the title of "having your cake and eating it too"?
My Toro rider has a foot pedal for the hydro, easy to drive, not such a good grass cutter tho. It is a very intuitive control, take your foot off it and you stop, press it to the floor and you go forward full speed (if there's not grass piled up under the pedal), press the heel part and you back up. If you take off too suddenly your foot naturally backs off the pedal. You do have to adjust to the need to keep your foot on it. I think this would not be complex to do. A heavy control cable would be a useful part. Some lever action to get the sensitivity right. But again, self-centering with no foot on it, and full down = full forward on the manual lever. Getting the sensitivity right becomes a math problem of levers. If you'll lend me a 9020 for a year I'll return it with a real nice working foot control. <wink>

You're on, Duckman! Stop by and you can borrow it anyone you want! Even let you use the garage for working on it during the Winter. Seriously, sounds like you have some good ideas and background on the design. Appreciate the comments. My Allis 720 with Ark loader and tiller will more than likely be for sale at some point in the future as I get tired of playing with it. Nelson

When I bought my 9020 several years ago the guy had rigged a control for the hydraulic lift on the right side. This enabled the operator to use one hand for speed and lift. I removed it soon after buying the tractor and haven't thought about it till reading this post. Also my neighbor just bought a JD 485, it has seperate pedals for forward and reverse.

• 2 months later...
I changed my Allis 416H to foot hydro control. I used the brake pedal to do it, but changed pedal to a full footrest for heel/toe movement. I then used the former hand hydro lever to set the parking brake. I made it to work on the "over center" principle to lock it in brake mode. I shortened the old hydro lever to allow for the long swing it takes to put it over center. I just lengthened the hydro control rod with a downward bend in front to go down to the foot pedal shaft arm. I never got round to making a neutral detent, but could easily do it using the neutral switch location to build a detent fixture there. I didn't take step by step pics, but I have some shots of outside.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00014.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00015.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00022.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00021-1.jpg[/img]

HEY!!! I know that 416:D. Howdy Dan;) EDIT....BTW, I bet some of the folks would be interested in seeing your home made loader on your Massy too. Post a few pics in "Show and Tell".

• 1 month later...
Home made loader for a Massey? I just picked up a Snapper 1650, which is really just a Massey 1650 with a new sticker on it. I would really like to see the loader you made.