Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 19 Briggs (now with pics)

MikeG

I picked up this engine at a swap meet this weekend. I didn't see any data plate on it but it sure looked like a Model 19. After getting it home I found the data on the engine shroud. Its marked 19DFR 0020-01 651118 and on a seperate sticker SER. NO. A261685. What does the DFR mean? The engine is complete with fuel tank and the oil pan is the same as the Model 19 in my 725 but reversed. I'm hoping the engine is a good one, and the best part is it was only $15.00. Here are some pictures comparing my Model 19's.

As noted there is no pto or reduction gear mounted. The front covers are different, maybe type of bearing? Will try to dig into the motor later today to check things out.

Hi Mike - Not sure about the 'FR' in the model number. As far as the oil pan goes, I think you can just spin it 180 degrees & bolt it back up. John

It looks like your "new" model 19D has the ball bearings instead of the plain bearings, much better IMO.

What is the difference in the 19's with the rectangular points cover and the one with the rounded triangular ends???

Roy, the rectangular covers were for the older style points used with the magnematic ignition system which is used on the model 19. I believe most of the 19D's had the newer points and magneto. I believe FastPaul was the last to post something about the magnematic system, its very unusual.

Chris, you are right about the flywheel magneto system. The motor is a Model 19D, made in march of 1962.

Now that I have it somewhat torn down, I'm thinking it will need a rebuild.

Suspicions confirmed. I have a model 19 in my 725 and had one in my B-1. Will have to look but suspect my 700 also has a 19. Think I would like 19D's with the external coil better than the MagnaMatic in the 19's. Thanks Chris.