Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Neutral Lever

gtwygreg

I have a 73 3416h and I cant get the neutral lever to move so I can roll it around without having it running. It has a lever on the back of the differential and it won't budge. I even tried using a cheater pipe (lightly). Does anyone have any ideas how to get this thing to budge?

I'd try spraying a good rust penatrant on it like PB blaster or Kroil when it goes in the diff. If that don't work it may be a inside problem.

You can always remove the check valve and then the tractor will roll when pushed. On of the valves is for forward, and the other is reverse. Message edited, I was thinking Sunstrand, not Vickers. I don't even have the mechanism to release the valves on my Sunstrand tranny. Been lucky. As long as the engine runs good, the tractor can be driven wherever. If I needed to tow it, I would use another tractor and lift the rear wheels of the hydro off the ground. I have been thinking of making a tow dolly for just such a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Vickers VS SundStrand.
It's a Vickers Hydro

Greg, When I had my 3210H, that lever was a disengage/engage bar... I now know what you're talking about. It is used to disengage the transmission so that you could push it or tow it. I remember seeing a sticker there saying something about parking and that lever... Something like don't do this while doing that. I can't remember what it said exactly. I would personally use a wire brush around the area where the lever meets the housing, use PB blaster, wire brush, go back and forth until all rust, dirt, oil, sediment, etc... Is removed. Then I would use a butane welder to heat it up, and while hot, use a cheater bar and pry it back and forth. There is also a tab either above or under the lever that is meant to lock it in place. Is that locking tab clear from the lever?

It might have said "the brakes do not work when it is disengaged" or something like that.

I had a similar problem with a Vickers and ended up splitting the tranny to fix the problem. There is a sliding mechanism (gear I think, been a long time since I had the problem) internally that moves back and forth on a shaft as a result of moving the engage / disengage lever. In my situation the shaft had gotten rusty and would not allow the gear to slide back and forth, thus it would not disengage. There was no way to clean up the shaft without splitting the tranny.

gtwygreg Well aware that it is a Vickers. I posted that for Rods benefit as he was referring to a SundStrand.