Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Different Center PTO Help Request

mmischni

Hi all, I read Herman's post about the PTO and the responses and have a question of my own. It is a 1964 Landlord (990314). I got belt number 106390 (new is 1717393SM) for the center PTO, but it seems kind of long. With no attachment on, the idler won't take up all the slack. Now pulling the PTO forward against the spring seems as if it would tighten things up, but it would have to be pulled almost to maximum extension to get the PTO belt tight when engaged. Here is a pic with the PTO disengaged showing how much extra belt there appears to be.

The deck I got with the tractor, using what I thought was the correct belt (2174911), does not pull the PTO far enough forward to allow the idler to fully engage the PTO as described above. Also, the belt rubs pretty significantly on the back of the deck. Do I have something wrong here? Wrong belts, deck, or just wrong setup? Here is a pic of the deck. No legible numbers left on it.

Thanks! Matt

Can you take another picture from underneath the tractor toward the PTO?

It looks to me as if the actuating rod has a pretty good bend in it. That may be what's keeping the idler pulley from going back far enough. I know I had problems with my PTO and was using a belt shorter than specified due to idle pulley not going back far enough. I ended up replacing that actuating rod due to corrosion problem under the collar & spring. I never realized it was supposed to be straight (after the initial bend near the handle assembly)until that time. Everything works much better now with the proper length belt.

Thanks for the tip, Kraig! Looking more closely at the good example pics in the other center PTO thread going on, I see what you mean, and I see what it SHOULD look like. I will ivestigate and see if straightening it a bit helps. I don't think I would have caught that. I was looking closely at every one elses parts and pulley positions, but not the actuator... Thanks again! Matt

Matt, It's not a problem, I hope that fixes it. I know I had all sorts of choice words for mine before I replaced that shaft. I may never have found it if the old one hadn't bent & broke at the collar. If you do have to replace it I believe it was about $15.00 from the Simplicity dealer here. Kraig

Let's put it this way... on my Big Ten, the idler pulley would be pushed so far back that it would almost rub the lower PTO pulley when you had it engaged. Work on getting the engagement rod straightened and adjusted to fully engage with a pretty tight belt (so you can deflect it 1/2" to 5/8" when pushed hard), and then you can always add a wire belt-stop to keep the belt from jumping off the lower PTO pulley if you need to...

Be sure also to use the large pully for the deck, the small one is for the sickle mower.

Or perhaps I should put the belt on the small pulley and tell my wife it doesn't work, so I should buy a sickle mower... Hmmmm....