Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SteveP

Calling the Shuttle experts...UPDATE..

SteveP
As you may remember I picked up a 3416S and it will not go backwards. I may be dealing with a couple of unknowns here but... I popped the cap off the planetary and filled it with White Lithum per the Owners Manual. I tighten the planetary brake band and once the belt quite slipping the brake band started smokin' and the planetary NEVER stopped turning. :(! The belt needs replacing and the brake band has about 1/8 to 3/16 pad left. Is this enough brake pad to function ? Could the planetary be froze up inside ? Other than throwing parts at it I don't know where to go next.

PeppyDan
Does the two halves of the larger pulley spin freely and more importantly able to spin opposite of each other. If the two halves are stuck or pinned together you will not be able go in reverse. If they can't turn opposite of each other then you will need to find out why. If you don't see any apparent problems then you will want to remove the planetary and try it again. If they still don't turn independently then you probably have a rusted/frozen up bearing. If it does turn then your planetary is the problem. We will get into that later if needed. This should give you a few things to check. Dan

SteveP
First... Thanks Dan The pullies do not, will not move seperatly. I took a long bar and hammer and it will move under force. I sprayed between the pullies with PB Blaster and will recheck tomorrow. Where does the bearing get there grease ??? If the PB doesn't work I guess I'll have to pull the planetary. :(!

PeppyDan
If it requires a long bar and hammer to move them, I recommend pulling the planetary(single nut under the cap)and removing the pulley. You can then remove and replace the bearing. This will also give you a chance to see how the bearing gets grease(I can't seem to remember at the moment). If the tractor moves in all gears forward with no problems then by repairing the bearing you should have all gears in reverse. There is nothing inside the transmission that would prevent reverse from working, the planetary just spins the input shaft in the reverse direction. Dan P.S. Do you have a service manual or PDF on this transmission from Simplicity, if not I highly recommend getting one.

Roy
The planetary housing has four pinion gears that rotate between the outer ring gear (housing) and inner sun gear. The sun gear and planetary housing have brass bushings and are grease lubricated. The planetary (pinion) gears have needle bearings and are grease lubricated. If the planetary assembly is locked, or hard to rotate, I suspect the pinion bearings and/or sun gear and planetary housing bushings are shot. PeppyDan is correct. Remove and inspect the planetary assembly. I also recommend, as he did, that you obtain a copy of the Service Manual and/or Parts Manual. If you need all the pinion gears, shafts, bearings, bushings, & o-rings it will be expensive. In my case I was able to repair mine with existing parts and a spare assembly provided by Rod Hubbard. I did buy new housing o-rings as the originals were fried from heat (reverse band friction on the planetary housing). Got the o-rings from Motion Industries at a fairly reasonable cost.

Ryno
Steve be forewarned Shuttle drive is a big PITA. I have a 3416S same as u. It seems in my limited experience with this tractor that theres a fine line between stop and go, forward and reverse, slow and fast. IF the planetary sheaves dont move on their own freely with out a belt on them then theres a problem either with the sheaves or the planetary as the planetary is above the sheaves. My advise would be to take the planetary assembly and the sheaves off and inspect both. I really dont think a bearing is to blame for this sounds more like something is froze up inside the planetary or the sheaves themselves perhaps. Be happy to be going forward. I disassembled mine in october to restore it, thought it would be done by this spring and its not even close. But mine had the crap beaten out of it by its previous owner. But thats another story... -Ryan-

PeppyDan
quote:
Steve be forewarned Shuttle drive is a big PITA. I have a 3416S same as u. It seems in my limited experience with this tractor that there's a fine line between stop and go, forward and reverse, slow and fast.
Ryno, I disagree with the comment about being "a big PITA". I will agree that they require more frequent adjustments than the other Simplicity transmissions. When properly adjusted they are a very good compromise between a gear drive and hydro transmission. I think a misconception is that the shuttle was meant to have variable speed "built into" it just because it has a handle that will stay where ever you put it. If you move the lever partially forward or reverse you are just slipping the belt or in essence riding the clutch. It is meant to be more like a straight 4 speed transmission, it just happens to have a handle that quickly allows you to change direction. The hydro is a better choice for most yard work but can fall short of the shuttle drive with ground engaging attachments such as plowing or tilling. Some will say that you can't get the belts to hold (not slip)well enough for heavy work like plowing, but if adjusted properly they can handle most any job you can throw at it. I was using one for two years for tractor pulling with 26x12x12 bar tires in the 1200lbs class (weight of tractor & driver)with a brand new 18hp Kohler Magnum engine. I did need to shim the main spring for the forward belt but it always held and I still had reverse. Most pullers will tell you that the sheaves need to be pinned together and therefor eliminating the reverse. Sorry if this sounds like an attitude, it's not, I just wanted to clarify a few common beliefs about the shuttle! Dan

Ryno
lol Dan dont worry i didnt take it as an attitude. As i said i have very limited knowledge in the tractor relm, ive only had my 3416 a year. And like i also stated my tractor was beat into submission by its previous owner. I've found various things on her that proves that the last owner was a animal with her so shes pretty well abused. But now that shes in pieces and slowly coming back together i hope to get her running like champ. Like u said they require frequent adjustments. Which like i said i think you'll agree there seems to be very fine lines in which to work the shuttle i know if i adjust it too far one way it wont reverse but if i move it just a small hair itll go. Its a weird set up and im still learning as i go. I also have a 3210V that ill be doing next another system with a bad rap. But ill learn it. Dan i dont see it as an attitude i look at it as constructive criticism. What one person thinks is a POS someone else thinks is the best thing going thats what lifes all about. Thats why i love this site, all u guys and few gals are awesome and very knowledgable and im very appreciative of anything i learn from u folks. Hope i didnt offend anyone. -Ryan-