Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tires???

RipRat

Has anybody ever had the front tires taken off of a 728 or equivalent? I'm restoring a 728 and went to my local tire franchise who was nice enough to take them all of the rims so I could sand and paint the rims. They were nice guys and didn't charge me for taking the tires off, but when I got home I noticed that they bent one of the front rims and crushed the steel bearing on the other. I have another set of front tires (from my parts tractor) but now I'm wondering if this is going to be the issue with getting the tires off, how are they going to get new ones on without chipping the new paint? Should I try to cut the other front tires off with a hack saw so as not to risk ruining another set of tires? Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

Front tires I do myself because they don't work on tire machines. To break the old bead I put them in my 6 inch bench vise and crank her tight, works pretty easy. Then I just use a couple screw drivers to get the tires off the rims.

When you say bent the wheel do you mean just the lip? That can happen fairly easy. The bearing I have no idea how they would have done. New tires go on alot easier that old ones come off, expecially with smooth paint and a little tire lube (can use liquid soap).

I went to Discount Tire, they removed the old tires and put the new ones on at no charge. I cleaned and painted my wheels, then had the new tires installed but did not air them up until I had all of the touch up complete. Now they look great.

I did my own as well. I broke the bead by laying the tire under my truck's trailer hitch and put a bottle jack on the bead. I mounted them with a couple of long screwdrivers. If you can find a set of old motorcycle tire levers, that would be better.

quote:
Originally posted by FiremanRon
If you can find a set of old motorcycle tire levers, that would be better.
That's what i use as well, but the smaller front tires are sort of a bear no matter what you use. Especially the "double bead lock" simplicity/AC rims.

quote:
Originally posted by FiremanRon
I did my own as well. I broke the bead by laying the tire under my truck's trailer hitch and put a bottle jack on the bead. I mounted them with a couple of long screwdrivers. If you can find a set of old motorcycle tire levers, that would be better.
I do my small tires in a similar way except I use a floor jack and lift the tire up into the trailer hitch. Then I put a vicegrips on the lip to keep the tire from spinning as I work it over the lip with a big screwdriver.

Ever thought of making your own bead breaker? My grandfather did it and I have his here at the house. Could even take a picture and measurements if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Doug, That would be great, I'd be interested to see that tool. Any chance you could post a picture with measurements here? :)

When you say "steel bearing", is it a ball bearing? I ask because those originally just had a plain bushing in the front wheels. New bushings are only a few bucks new anyway. Tim

The lip in the steel bearing broke off and their machine pushed the bearing deep into the wheel... Any idea how to get those bearings out???

The bearings he is talking about is the smooth bore bushings. To get them out, you have to take a punch from the opposite side, and tap it out. I may take a few to get them to move.