Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 tiller

PatRarick

My brother in PA recently picked up a 6216 varidrive with tiller, 42" plow, and mower deck. He's been asking me questions about the tiller, but I am not familiar with the setup for the 30" tiller. Tried the search function in many different combinations but it keeps timing out on me. The problem is the tiller drive. He claims it runs off the transmission input pulley, so it stops when he depresses the tractor clutch, and the speed varies with his variable speed lever. Makes sense to me if it's hooked up in that manner, but it doesn't seem right to me. I would think there should be a "live" PTO that runs independantly of the transmission input. Is this how the tillers are supposed to operate on this tractor, or has he got it hooked up wrong? I also looked up owner's manuals for the 30" tillers, and it shows the belt hooked to a pulley labled "PTO". This appears to be the transmission input pulley in the diagram, but doesn't state whether or not it actually is.

Pat On page 4 of the 30" Tiller MFG# 1690393 manual in the right hand column under Starting and Stopping, It states: The tiller will also stop when the tractor clutch is disengaged. It also has instructions on Engine and Ground speeds.

Thanks, Maynard. I didn't look at that part of the manual. Guess I was concentrating too much on the section about attaching the tiller to the tractor to see if I could make sense of it.