Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear pto pulley / tiller belt routing

mike_sdak

Hello everyone. Last year, I bought a 917 AC with a 36/46" tiller. I mounted the tiller and tilled with a bit of trouble last year, but I can't seem to get it correct this year. I don't think I did it correctly last year either- the flat idler rubbed on the housing if I lifted it too high. The previous owner mounted the rear PTO kit to keep the belt from rubbing on the filter, however the pulley he has on the bracket is over 4" in diameter, I don't think that's right. (I tried the flat mower deck idler pulley, but that isn't quite right yet either). My problem is, I can't route the belt around all of the pulleys. I wonder if the belt is too short, or if I am missing something? I tried routing the belt under the spring loaded idler on the tiller, I think this may work, but I don't know if it is correct? Anyone have any thoughts on the length of belt or pulley routing? I can email a sketch or photos of my problem if it would help. Many thanks in advance

The pulley in the PTO drive kit that was added should be 3.62" OD. The belt should be part #2105340SM = 96.1" HB belt.

Hey, thanks for the pictures. I suspect the belt is too short - it looks as though he had been bypassing the spring-tensioned idler on the tiller (and the spring is broke) If that is the case, I think he used a larger pulley on the PTO kit to tighten the belt adequately. That wouldn't be a surprise - he had used the wrong belt on the mower drive, as well. I plan to measure the belt tonight to see. Thanks again.

Also check (I know it sounds dumb) to see if you pinned the upper arm correctly. I did that one day when I was in a hurry and had the idler pulley grind on the housing when I lifted it all the way up. Probably not worth much but there it is.

Hey, this thread reminds me, my pin # 24 above fits into two holes in my hitch frame. One is in line with the hitch frame, and the other is deeper. I think I searched manuals one day but couldn't determine the correct answer. Which hole is the correct one? I usually use the deeper hole...

The belt length that you need is 96". The pin goes in the first hole (further out) any time that I put it in the deeper hole (farest back) the top pulley wants to rub the seat pan.

Mine doesn't seem to touch on the the second hole, although that top pulley is closer to the seat pan... I will try the first hole the next time to see how it goes!

Good Evening, I picked up my new 7116H and tiller the other day. The tiller seems to be mostly there except the idler pulley assembly (number 23 on the image above). I'm going to order the parts and try to hook everything up, but I'm a little confused about that bracket. The image doesn't show where it connects. Can someone please tell me where to connect it with the pin? Also, where does the other end of the spring connect? Thank you, John

It goes on the left side of the shaft for the rear lift and the bottom swings in and pins to the left side vertical arm of the rear hitch frame. The spring connects to the center bolt of the idler on the swing arm of the spring loaded idler pulley D in the lower diagram.

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I'm really looking forward to trying the tiller out. Take care, John

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys, I received most of my part today. I think I forgot to order the idler pulley (number 28). The parts manual doens't show what it attaches to. Is it the idler arm assembly? Does it attach with a bolt? Would it be possible to get one at tractor supply? Here's the simpliclity part description 2105380SM PULLEY 04 500OD 1 00. Does that mean it one inch wide and has a 5 inceh outside diameter? Thank you very much for any help! Take care, John

John, pulley #2105380SM is 4.5" OD with a 1" bore. It goes on the shaft of part #23, hub side first and has two set screws in the hub.

Thank you very much for the info! I think I'm probably just going to order the simplicity one from Jack's. I wish I had realized I was missing it sooner, but stuff happens. Thanks again, John

• 3 months later...
I have a 7117H and have been struggling to figure out how to run the belt past the hydro filter. Is there a small guide pulley that redirects the belt slightly? I tried taking the filter off and installing the gasket, plate & pulg the manufacturers drawings shows for the hydro section. All that does is cause me to lose the hydraulic flow. I put the filter back on and I get flow & the tranny works again. What a relief! I thought I busted something. What could I be doing wrong?

Deane- The blue pulley above in UCD's post is the solution to your problem with rubbing on the filter. do you have that part installed? -Don

I don't have it. In the process to find or order one. Also understand the are 3-versions of filters. Will have to order one.