Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3-point hitch components for CAT0

npalen

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for a drawbar to mount between the three point arms. We had a Ford 8N on the farm with a neat device to convert the 3-point to a variable height drawbar and would like to find something similar for my 720. The arrangement consisted of a holy bar with a pin forged or welded on each end to engage the 3-point lift arm balljoints. That much is probably available for CAT0 although I don't currently know of a source. A V-shaped device then bolted to this bar and extended a couple inches behind with a hole for a hitch pin. The front ends of the V-shape bolted to each lift arm with a J-bolt thus stiffening against side sway. The V-shape piece was made of two pieces of flat iron welded together at the back near it's hitch pin hole. Anyone know of a source for something like this? Thanks Nelson

[url][/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Category-0-Drawbar-for-Category-0-Tractors-Lawnmower_W0QQitemZ7739235951QQihZ018QQcategoryZ82240QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem I found this part of it. Now need the V-shaped part that ties it together with the lower link arms.

Nelson, What you are refering to is most commonly called a toolbar.I have two of them for my 9020.I purchased mine at Feldmans in Odessa,Mo.I am sure you should be able to find them there in Ks.at a farm store.I also made a lock for mine to keep it from rotating.I made it out of a piece of channel and a couple of small pieces of square stock.You can also make a set-up with two pieces of flat stock that bolts to the toolbar and then goes up and your 3point link then hooks on to it,you can find them on ebay all the time.Hope this helps.Jerry

Jerry--The V-shaped piece I'm looking for lays flat under the "holy crossbar" and bolts to it. Then each of the flats extends over to the 3-point lower link and attaches to the lower link at about the halfway point. This keeps the drawbar rigid from side to side and keeps the drawbar from rotating while still allowing vertical movement of the 3-point without an upper link. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I do know what you mean by the two pieces of flat going up to attach to the upper link. Had one of them on my Case 446. Nelson

Is this what you're looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/GARDEN-TRACTOR-HITCH-3-POINT-CAT-0-JOHN-DEERE-318-430_W0QQitemZ300106195797QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11752QQcmdZViewItem

Bill--That would certainly work and it's what most folks would use. The arrangement that I've seen though prevents any side movement of the hitch. I may need to post a sketch. It's been about forty years since last laying eyes on the ol' 8N but I can still picture it plainly. I'm guessing that it was a Dearborn product but not sure Incidentally, my Dad had a Dearborn rear mounted loader on this tractor. It mounted on the 3-point which raised it initially and then a chain restraint would tighten to raise the loader arms. Have not seen one since. Made sense in some ways including the fact that it put the weight on the rear wheels of the tractor. Nelson

I found a photo of it! It's the V-shaped piece that ties to the drawbar and also the lift arms with the J-bolts shown. Nelson

I know what you are looking for. The drawbar can be gotten at Tractor Supply. The hitch can be simply fabricated to your specs. Two pieces of flat stock welded in v shape. At that point you need the hole for towing. The flat stock is bolted to drawbar in two spots. and the flat stock extends to lift arms and held there with U bolts. The drawbar normally was used with stabilizer arms that ran from each end of drawbar to top link . This stabalized the drawbar. Some time the straight drawbar did not work for tight turns. Then the part you are looking for allowed a single attachment point. Later models had a mount that fit aaround the PTO and had a draw bar that attached under the tractor and extended to the rear for a hitch point.

[url][/url]http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/manuals/messages/866.html This is the Dearborn rear mounted loader I mentioned above. It would raise about high enough to dump into a manure spreader.sm01

Unless you ask them to order it a true cat 0 draw bar is not ussually in stock at TSC they have one but it has the cat 1 pins

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150120102673&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Another thing I'm curious about is a 3P quick-hitch for CAT0. Anyone know of availability? Looks like the cat's meow would be combining the above Ebay item with a quick-hitch. [url][/url]http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm And perhaps throw this in also. Just trying to think "out of the box" a little here.:) Thanks Nelson

To me the use of the metal stabilisers would be a waste of time when you want to drop the hitch and use a 3 point attachment. The cross link chains on the standard hitch can be adjusted by moving the clevis up to a tighter link and stabilise the lift arms that way. That's what they are there for.

But you wouldn't be able to raise and lower the 3-point with the stabilizer chains tight. Or would you?

I can vouche for the ebay seller above with this drawbar. I bought an item from him earlier this spring and picked it up in person. Nice guy - and he has a BIG machine shed FULL of 616's, 620's and Powermax's. He collects them and I'm guessing he has at least 10 of them and he said he had another shed with some that I didn't have time to look at!

quote:
Originally posted by npalen
But you wouldn't be able to raise and lower the 3-point with the stabilizer chains tight. Or would you?
The chains are attatched to the lift arms, so they go up and down with the arms.