Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deck height adjustment

tfrazier

Heres the deal. I have a AC 716 with a 48" deck. My blade height adjustment is fine. However, there are times that I need to raise the deck, for example, when loading and unloading my tractor on to my trailer. I never seem to have enough clearance so I end up catching the deck at the hinge point of the ramp. This typically happens on the left side of he deck because when it is raised up in to its full height, the left side hands down a little lower than the right. I assume this is because the lift cable attaches to the right side of the deck. To raise my deck to the highest possible point, I have to pull the lift handle back beyond the last notch in the adjustment plate. There is literally no movement in the deck height for the fist 5 notches. To get the lift handle back as far as it will go, I have to lift my left leg up and pull the handle under it. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Seems to me the deck should raise or lower with each notch but I am only guessing. Is there a way to adjust this? Thanks Tony

That is a common complaint/problem with these tractors. You could try to get a cable made that is a tad shorter than the original.

The newer cables (900 series) had multiple holes on clevis end. If not, you may be able to shorten clevis, and drill another hole. Try both ends, it ain't much, but even a little helps.

frazier Remember also, that if you have lift for the entire travel of the lever, the deck wouldn't float downward. It's a trade off. You could lift higher with a short cable, but you need the freeplay to float down in low spots. Good luck on the happy medium. Todd

We commonly shortened the cable by pulling it through the yoke and securing a cable clamp right along side the lug to take up some slack. Cable clamps should be available at the hardware store. They are similar to a muffler clamp only much smaller. Get the one that fits the cable snugly.