Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlight Wiring

JCS

I've been meaning to ask this question for quite some time. Why are my (7012H) headlights powered by the alternator (brightness relative to engine speed) rather than by the battery (constant brightness)? Doesn't Simplicity trust operators to remember to turn headlights off?

Hey Dutch! This is what happened to me. My headlights WERE switched over to DC sometime before I got my 7016H. My grandfather had put it in the shop to have the electric lift (broken) exchanged for a manual lift. I suspect that's when someone swapped over. I found this while troubleshooting a battery drain problem. I would use my headlights only in the fall once the time shifted to Day light Savings Time and it would get dark on me early. The lights were only used for an hour or so while picking up leaves. I had installed a new battery sometime before and couldn't understand why it would drain so easily, constantly adding water. With my schematic and multimeter, I traced all the wires, actually looking for a ground, and found the splice over to the AC side. That explained it. I immediately swapped back...no problems since. I figure the lights are a constant drain and the alternator just can't keep up. That's my opinion..we welcome yours. Smokey

I read in one of my tractor manuals that if you are going to use the headlamps to keep the engine rpm's up and not to let the engine idle for more then 10 min. or the battery may become drained enough to prevent startup. Also it went on to state that if you notice either your amp meter showing a discharge or your battery warning light to come on turn off the headlamps untill these warnings are corrected or return to normal or you may not be able to restart your engine if needed and it will shorten your battery life being parked with a low battery. I do have one tractor with the amp light and it works just like the older cars and lights up to show a discharge and if I raise the engine rpm's it will go out. On one of my other tractors I did wire the headlamps off the battery and didn't have any problems untill I over heated my generator and of course kicking the switch to the on while climbing off the tractor will also kill the battery ha. I think just think the main reason for running the lights through the voltage regulator is the battery is the primary source for the voltage and not the lights and for the other reasons that I stated along with smokey. Just a nickles worth, >>->happyjack<-<<

On many of the newer briggs engines, there are two alternators on the flywheel. One is for charging the battery and has a low amp rating, the other is for lights and has a higher amp rating. This has two benefits: they don't need a voltage regulator for the battery charging, and the lights only work when the engine is running, so you can't discharge the battery.