Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is there Any Difference Pics added

MPH

In the tiller itself between the older round hood ones and the later squared hood ones. As I have a very used sq hood tiller thinking about using the hood on my new round hood tiller as the sq one has the side shields. Haveing been introduce to rear tine tillers with the purchase of my 6hp Troybuilt in 1975, used it so hard and long the side shields were removed by flapping tree roots and tundra, scored a new hood for it not long ago which reminded how nice the side shield are. Never understood why Simplicity didn't have them. Looking at the two it looks like a clean swap. Also learned why most old tillers no longer have the rear flap on them, the hangging off a chain leaves a lot to be desired fo a hinge method, also it's to short to be of much good anyways. Few things Troybuilt spoiled me on. I now have a sq hood tiller:). Robbed the rear flap off this beast of an MTD tiller

Used a 'U' shaped lite wt fence post, since I couldn't find any 1/4" angle iron around and some 2" pieces of 3/8 pipe to make a hinge

Re-welded a couple broken welds on the sq hood

Transformed my new tiller from this

To this

Much happier with the results. Love having side shields again and a long enough rear flap to stop the dirt from fling out the back on less then max depth tilling.

Tried a pass in the garden but it was too wet yet.

Marty, I started with a HB212 with the open tiller. I modified it by putting side sheilds and long rear flap. Some years later I aquired a newer enclosed (square hood) tiller. What an upgrade even with my modification the square hood tiller does a much better job. I already had a couple of RBT to put the tiller on...so I did not have to modify my old FDT to handle the newer tiller. The only other difference between the tillers are the tines. The older has the square tines while the newer has the tapered. It also seems that the newer tiller spins faster. You will like the square hood much better.

If it's the 32" tiller, the hoods should interchange. I "upgraded" one of my old round hood tillers with a square hood from a newer 32" tiller. Bolted right on and it made a world of difference.

Thanks Mike and Pat. Just finished moifing the rear flap off a 'monster' tiller I got with the MTD, got it hinged to put on my sq hood, now to swap them out. Good to know I'm not shooting in the dark.

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
If it's the 32" tiller, the hoods should interchange. I "upgraded" one of my old round hood tillers with a square hood from a newer 32" tiller. Bolted right on and it made a world of difference.
Pat, are you saying changing only the tiller hood made a big difference in tilling performance? Or is it the flaps? I'm not at all doubting you are right, it just doesn't quite make sense that the curve vs square hood makes a big difference in how it chops the dirt. If it really matters I'll sure fab a square hood!

Looks like a big improvement there MartydOd I have the square hooded 32" and I just added the 10" extensions to it, that should give the old B-10 a good workout...:D I sure would like to find one of those rubber flaps like is on yours.8D

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
Pat, are you saying changing only the tiller hood made a big difference in tilling performance? Or is it the flaps? I'm not at all doubting you are right, it just doesn't quite make sense that the curve vs square hood makes a big difference in how it chops the dirt. If it really matters I'll sure fab a square hood!
Don, I wouldn't say that the change actually makes it till any better, but it doesn't throw dirt out the sides or the rear. I think it mixes the soil a bit better as the soil stays under the tiller housing. It leaves a much nicer finish on the tilling job. Nearly like it's been raked smooth behind the tiller.

Actually Mike that rear flap is heavy metal, I'd guess 1/16' at least. I welded the center pipe hingle on it set at 90 amps.

I've got an older style tiller on a big ten and it does fling dirt and all kinds of other stuff all over the place it does make sense to keep it all under the housing. Think I might hook up the newer style tiller this spring!

quote:
quote:
Don, I wouldn't say that the change actually makes it till any better, but it doesn't throw dirt out the sides or the rear. I think it mixes the soil a bit better as the soil stays under the tiller housing. It leaves a much nicer finish on the tilling job. Nearly like it's been raked smooth behind the tiller.
So in theory adding side covers and a rear flap to my curved one would give much the same performance? Would you use galvanized or naked steel? -Don

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
So in theory adding side covers and a rear flap to my curved one would give much the same performance? Would you use galvanized or naked steel? -Don
It should. I have an old round hood tiller here that the previous owner made sides for, out of plain flashing tin. He also made a rear flam out of slightly heavier tin. It helps a lot, but doesn't seem to be the entire answer. I'd add approximately a 1 1/2" to 2" solid drop to the rear, enclose the ends accordingly, and then add a rear flap if needed. As to the sides, I'd use either 14 gauge or 16 gauge hot rolled sheet metal. Galvanized would be okay if you are going to bolt it together, but if you want to weld it on, I wouldn't use galvanized.

Haveto question you Pat, wouldn't adding solid metal to the rear drag too deep when tilling full depth? On the tiller I been using the oem shield would drag the dirt when tilling deep, like last pass over the garden. The flap I added is an even 6 inches and made of at least 1/8 metal, heavy enough clods don't affect it when tilling shallow, like first pass over sod. Side shields should be just above the axle I think without going out to look.

I have nothing in front. Seems it would get drug under the tines or drag material infront of it, esp something like tilling in leaves.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Haveto question you Pat, wouldn't adding solid metal to the rear drag too deep when tilling full depth? On the tiller I been using the oem shield would drag the dirt when tilling deep, like last pass over the garden. The flap I added is an even 6 inches and made of at least 1/8 metal, heavy enough clods don't affect it when tilling shallow, like first pass over sod. Side shields should be just above the axle I think without going out to look.
I wouldn't think so Marty. When I looked at the two tillers from the rear, the rear of the housing on the round hood tiller is a little over 2" above the centerline of the tine shaft. On the square hood tiller, the rear of the housing comes down to about the centerline of the tine shaft. The square housing tiller is about as close to perfect as it can be. But that's here, in our type of soil. I'm assuming (and you know what they say about assumptions), that maximum tilling depth is just as dependant on the soil type as it is on the mechanical depth limit of the tractor/tiller. I always let my tiller run as deep as it will, but I don't believe I've ever hit it's mechanical limit for depth. Am I making any sense?

Am I making any sense? Yea you do Pat but I can't see adding a solid extension. The sq hood rear looks to be a good inch above the shaft and the sides about 1/2 inch. Went and looked at the Troybuilt the sides are about an inch and the back is at least two but the rear flap is close to 10 inches long. On my old hood on it I had the paint worn off a good inch up the side shields, must addmit, I'm obsessed with tilling as deep as possible.

I guess what I'm trying to get at Marty, is that what I'd add as a fixed extension to the rear of a round hood would make the tine coverage equal to that of a square hood. Actually, by adding this fixed portion and enclosing the ends, you should have the same results with a round hood tiller as you do with the square hood.

Now adding the rear flap to this modified round hood would provide the same results as adding a rear flap to a standard square hood.