Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
captwayne

416 hydro loses prime

captwayne
I have a 416 tractor in here that after setting a few days has no forward or reverse. It seems like it is loosing prime for lack of a better term. I have filled it up and checked it a few times and is still full. The only way to get it to move is to jack the rear end up and rotate the tires in forward and reverse and run the hydro lever with the tires. After a little of this it seems to work OK. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix?C

HubbardRA
The Sunstrand tranny in my 716H also does this. When I move the lever to start the tractor moving forward or reverse, it takes several seconds to get the tranny full of fluid and operating. I think this may just be a fact of life with these trannys when the get a little wear on them. I've never owned a new one, so I don't know how the new ones are. My tranny works fine after it gets primed.

2burning
I am not familiar with how the 400 series filter is setup, but you may want to try a new filter (and test that the drainback valve works inside the filter - while filling the filter up with new fluid through the middle hole, make sure the excess air bubbles out through the middle hole as you are filling the filter. If you don't get bubbles, then the drainback valve is probably leaking.). If it has a remote filter mount like on the 7000 series, you may want to replace the rubber hoses too, they could have a small leak in them and leak air into the oil. I think the lines are supposed to be under a vacuum under normal operation. If there are disengaging valves for pushing the unit around, they aren't stuck are they?

D-17_Dave
You could be sucking some air into the charge pump through a small hole in the supply line from thr filter-reservior. But I suspect you have lost a spring on the motor swash plate. This spring will allow the motor head to fall away from the rotator group and dump your charge pressure. By turning the wheels a little you shake the rotor assembly around and with the oil flow you push the assembly back to a place where the charge pressure can hold the rotor group in place. As long as you maintain this pressure it holds the rotor group. Once you cut the engine off you loose this pressure and the rotor falls away again. The fix would be to dissasseble the motor, not the pump, and replace the spring. Be carefull not the dissasemble the rotor group. It wears a certain way and if you mess with it you could upset the wear pattern and cause more problems.