Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question about plowing

fastallis

While I was out trying to plow my garden I was having a bit of a problem with getting my plow to "bite" into the ground for starters, and secondarily, to get it to stay into the soil and turn over a furrow. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. fyi I am using a Brinly and an Allis Chalmers plow and both exhibit the same malfeasance. Thanks,

John--I'm certainly no expert but might suggest adjusting the top link a little shorter on your 3-point. This would tend to pitch the point of the moldboard down to get it to bite and "hold". Does your Brinly have a rolling coulter? Nelson

This might answer some questions for you. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1295_00_AT_S.pdf

thanks guys I think I'll try sharpening the coulters and shares, Nelson heres pics of the tractors and plows Thanks

Another thought. Is your plow new or used? If used, the point on the share may be worn down too much. Brinly sells new shares. No amount of adjusting will get a plow in the ground with a worn down point.

I have to ask as the plow seems to be the most complex attachement to operate. Do you really need a degree to pull this thing, or is it more a matter of use it and the (complex) instructions are there to deal with minor problems. The instructions are intimidating, on the other hand I know Marty (MPH) manages ok, so how tough can it be anyway?

The moldboard plow whether on these garden tractors or on A large farm tractor and as with anything else they have to be adjusted correctly to work correctly. Moldboard Plow Adjustment Instructions & Operation http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30380 Put the left front and rear tires on blocks the thickness of the depth you want to plow to. Approximately 5", lower the plow to the ground and adjust so that the plow sets flat on the ground front to back. and side to side. To cut good and pull easy and throw the furrow over the plow point has to be fairly sharp and the plow point and plow share have to be clean and smooth. Trying to plow with a dull rusty plow is like trying to slice a tomato with a butter knife. A clean and correctly adjusted plow will pull it self into the ground to the correct depth pull easy and stay at that depth. Once adjusted to a tractor it should not need further adjustment unless installed on another tractor. It is second nature to ole farm boys.

I think Marty has "street smarts". He certainly makes do with what he has on hand. And any farm boy can set a plow.

I had trouble plowing for the first couple years, then as I got more used to setting it up and choosing the right field conditions it became much easier. Last year I plowed with my 710-6speed without even using wheel weights. I think it helps that my plow share is getting shined better each year, I always put a good coat of primer on it before winter storage.

I was kiddin' about Marty. I'm a long-ago transplanted city kid, been in the sticks for 30 years. If I get confused I'll go ask one of the neighbors who does this for a living but on a 5000 acre operation. They always are skeptical a lil tractor can pull a plow tho. -Don