Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SOVERIGN or LANDLORD

JCS

First you must locate a Simplicity dealer with a "new" Sovereign in stock because production of the Sovereign ended last June. If you cannot find a Sovereign, your question becomes a "new" Landlord or a used Sovereign.

I knew it I timed out to much finger tapping on the keys :)happyjackl@yahoo.com Great question! I have been knocking that one around for quite sometime but I settled on the Broadmoor because of its size and the $$ to which my kids paid for. But I did alot of asking questions and trying both of those tractors out before taking the lesser of the 2. What I found interesting is the Sov. uses the Kohler and the Landlord the Briggs in all but the 17hp. Which engine is better I just don't know as the aswers I had gotten there both good anymore. If ya look at the weight between the 2 tractors the Sov. and the Landlord with the same horse power the Sov. out weights the Landlord by about 150lb. The tire sizes are the same but the Landlord turns 24" verses the Sov. 32" so their might be something to consider. When I asked Mark Waite a fellow member and his partner that own a Simplicity dealership they called their service manager out at put the Question to him which one is the best. His comment was if you want the latest designed tractor that is up to date and very relieable get the Landlord as its a heck of a unit. But so is the Sov. but he still prefered the Landlord because of it being a newer design that has proveen itself now if asked that question a couple of years ago the answer would possibly be different. Mark and Joel told me they answer any and all customers questions but in the end it was a spit decision between them both. I like the open step thru design of the Landlord verses the step up over the steering wheel design of the Sov. I am a really diehard Simplcity tractor person and from what I could see and actually driving both the Landlord seemed more user friendly and the sharper turning radius really is most noticeable when closeness counts. But actually was able to get more comfortable on the Sov. but I still prefer the foot control of the Landlord over the Sov.'s lever one. But I don't think all the older attachment will fit the Landlord but I have been wrong before. To me the Sov. looks more like a garden tractor should look with the squared off hood and an agressive look to it as the Landlord has that newer rounded look to it. To be honest I would if I had the choice go with the newer design "but" I don't have to worry about that one as the new Broadmoor is a newer design also over the Sov. and I actually had to learn to like it but that took about 2 hours to get ajusted to it. I know the question wasn't about a Broadmoor but it really reminds me of a baby Landlord in more ways then one. Oh heck just maybe I would get the meaner looking Sov. Hopefully someone can give you a techical comparision over my just telling you my personal opinion which will differ from one to the other. Best of luck with what ever you do, >>->happyjack<-<<

My Dad was making the exact same decision last summer. Howlett Harware had ONE Sovereign left in stock. They had loaned us a used one as a demonstrator, and I fell in love with it big time (That big ol' hood seems like it's a mile long. I could sit behind it for 16 hours if I had to!). Therefore I was initially a bit bummed at first when my Dad decided on the Landlord istead. But after running it several times I really cannot say that I can find any major faults with it either. As happyjack already stated the ergonomics on it are very user-friendly. And hey, it's got a place for ya to set yer beer on those hot summer days! ;) While I don't feel that the construction is as sturdy as the Sovereign was, it is still made very well for something that is constructed in this day and age, IMHO. I got a LOT of respect for any manufacturer that still thinks enough about their machines to build 'em with STEEL hoods. And it's 300 times better than the plastic Jap POS JD 262 that he traded in! Broke the Fisher-Price throttle on that abomination TWICE, Voltage regulator failed TWICE. not to mention replaced God-Knows-How-Many drive belts. Couldn't keep them adjusted if you had to. I could rant about how JD's quality-control has went right in the toilet in the last 15 years or so... but I guess I'd better shut up. Like BillC already stated, you're probably going to have a hard time locating a brand-new Sovereign. Power to you if you do happen to be so lucky! I feel you'll be happy with either one though. Don

Ok I will add somemore info. untill others get around to adding more also. When I said an all new design "Landlord" its just that. Instead of a horizonal shaft engine like the Sov. has it has a vetical shaft engine. Instead of a shaft drive off the engine it has a belt drive "but" it is guarenteed for life by Simplicity. The Sov. is basically a unchanged design from the first 4 wheel garden tractor other then size-engine larger twin cylinder-and a different hydro trans it used to be the Vickers but they changed to the Sunstrane when Vickers quit making them - a little question on how correct I am on that part. The mower deck on the Landlord is a little more rounded and a newer design as the Sov. still has the same type of style as always at least they look different in someway. I know that the Sov. are still around as my dealer just bought 6-8 from a dealer in Ohio that was retiring and I think they still had a couple of their own. So depending on where you live you still can get one and possibly find one to ship to your local dealer at least thats a possibility. Like I said before I like most everyone else am a diehard Simplicity tractor person and I don't like changes but in regards to the Landlord I could make an exception. Now if it was another company I really would throw a big thumbs down at the newer style Landlord but not in this case. As mentioned before check and see if the older attachments will fit the newer Landlord as they are expensive at you know. Just thought I would add alittle more, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Fellow member Roy Pope owns a new Sov. and it might be worth sending him an e-mail if he does not see this or even call Jeff Nemes-Al-or Bill of Sandy lake or any of our sponcers to get their opinions.

I WOULD BUY A AGCO918 / SOVERIGN ANYDAY OVER THE LANDLORD.LANDLORD IS OK BUT I SURE LIKE THE WAY THE AGCO918 RUNS.I USE IT TO MOW A 1/2 ACRE AND PLOW SNOW .IT IS THE BEST TRACTOR I HAVE OWNED.I LIKE THE THE HAND THROTTLE AND THE POWER STEERING .THE SEAT IS VERY COMFORTABLE.IT IS THE BEST $6000.00 THAT I EVER SPENT.YES IT IS A 30 YR DESIGNED TRACTOR BUT IT IS MADE WITH ALL STEEL SHEET METAL NOT FIBERGLASS LIKE ALOT OF STUFF THAT IS MADE NOW DAYS. IT NOT ONLY LOOKS LIKE A BIG TRACTOR BUT RUNS LIKE A BIG TRACTOR.YOU CAN BUY WHAT YOU WANT BUT FOR THE MONEY THE AGCO918/ SOVERIGN IS THE WAY TO GO.GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE.

Hey agco918, I thought you left, we should chat again, In my opinion the soverighn is better since it has a more solid frame, the deck is the same deep style that they used for a long time, if you have any old soverighn attachments they should fit yet. Good luck on your choice,-BradW

My Sim/Agco dlr. friend here in SE NY has a 2 yr old really nice used Sov for $3500. A Landlord of today is a glorified lawn tractor.,,IMHO of course.

I bought a new Sovereign because it is basically a new version of my AC B-1 with more horsepower. Some of the changes I like and some I do not. I like the horsepower. I would not get power steering again due to the lag (lack of boost) during quick turns. The hydraulic lift is great but I would like it better without the slight delay in response. The hydrostatic drive is great for controlling motion within a fraction of an inch in tight spots but not so great when turning downhill. It tends to run away which can be unnerving. The hand lever is great as a cruise control but not so good when trying to manuver (sp?). With one hand steering and one on the hydro lever I quickly run out of hands. with the 3 speed on my B-1 I simply use the clutch, and belt slip, to control the tractor speed when my hands are busy. The Sovereign is higher than the B-1 so it harder to get on and off. It also will not go under a lot of trees and bushes the B-1 fits beneath. I can't straddle the Sovereign like the B-1 due to the floorboards and increased height. The air filter on the Kohler V-twin is a poor design. It has to be cleaned often. The oiled foam filter on the B-1 only has to be serviced once or twice a year. But in the garden tractor class nothing else is comparable to the Sovereign. It is built like a tank (cast iron transaxle housing. grease fittings where they are needed, etc.) plus it has the Simplicity/Allis Chalmers mower deck. With the rear rollers and deck suspended from the front axle I mow over obstacles other brands of decks and tractors will not. It also doesn't scalp my lawn like the Cub Cadet I have 2 years ago. I chose the Sovereign for the above reasons and the uses I plan for it. I use my tractors to mow, push snow, move boat trailers, drag logs home, till, move heavy loads (on a skid), plow, level the yard (with a drag), etc., etc. I figure the Sovereign will be around after I'm long gone. Some of my B-1 attachments will not fit the Sovereign. I need to modify the dozer blade hitch to account for the longer frame. The tiller will not fit unless I fabricate the drive components. The sleeve hitch and plow should fit but I haven't tried them yet. The drag and other tow attachments will work. I'm not sure about the boat trailer. I should be able to pull it if the pipe about the hitch ball doesn't interfer with the trailer hitch. So, depending upon your intended use for a tractor the Landlord may be OK. In my case I wanted a heavy duty tractor that would take the beating I have given my B-1. I didn't think a Landlord would be suitable for me. My nickles worth. Hope I have helped. Roy

We use my Dads new Landlord mostly just for mowing and very little else (and she will cut some grass with that 50" deck!). We use my Power King for plowing snow and hauling wood, as well as working out in the woods. And when I get my 700 finished I plan to maybe mow with it a little during the summer and put the snowblower on it during the winter. Don

Yes Double-T you are sure write on that one "undicided for sure", been there already and ended up with a 16 hp Broadmoor..which keeps surprising me everytime I use it at just how well it does its chores. Thanks, Jack >>->happyjack<-<<

The running away is a definition thing. It takes the hydro a little longer to catch up after switching from pulling up hill to going down hill. The gear drives are similar but more positive so the change time is shorter. The steering lag is insufficient boost when making a sudden turn. Sort of like when the power steering belt on a car slips at low speed. The hydro lift lag may be peculiar to my tractor or could just be typical hyraulic system reaction time. I like systems that respond instantly and the lift on my tractor is a little slow to respond. The high seat was a little un-nerving at first but I have gotten used to it. The adjustable seat is nice but it would feel more secure if the seat were lower. The Sovereign tips over easier than my AC B-1 on my hillside. With my B-1 I would just stick a foot out and catch it when it started to tip over. The Sovereign makes this difficult, if not impossible, due to the increased height of the tractor and seat plus the full floorboards. I have to be more careful with the Sovereign. Roy

ROY: I though the running away downhill was discussed before and was fixable???? What is this LAG in steering and lifting??? DOes anyone know if this occurs in a LANDLORD??? Since it has a different transmission??? I also noticed how high the seat is on the SOVERIGN but it looks like the seats are high on all the tractors because of the sliding seat frame/rail underneath. Is this a safety haazard because you set so high??? Has anyone made a foot control for the SOVERIGN??? AL??? Should I consider the LANDLORD because of the "step-thru" design since you gotta lift your leg up over the steering wheel all the time to get on and off??? And I ani't getting any younger??? Come on guys I need more input!!!! I keep telling my wife I can keep the old one going... It just takes a while to get them going and they all need repair to be perfect. We have 1/2 acre with a house & driveway & garden so there ain't too much grass to mow! I alreay got alot of attachments gathered up and they would fit the SOVERIGN. If I get the LANDLORD I got to buy all the new hitches... However the LANDLORD is cheaper so the price is about the same after I add up all the hitch costs.. ALso do I really need a snowblower & rototiller???? My wife thinks not.... SO now we are down to just mowing the grass... and I could get a much smaller tracotr to do that....... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!