Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Picked up a B-12

Chris727

Scored this over the weekend for $50, and it was only a few miles from home.

The Bad: No hood, side panels, or grill and the deck is shot. Most of the body is junk as even the frame has a twist of about 1 inch from one side to the other at the front, and its not out of alignment at the BGB, I just figure it may have been dropped out of a truck or something. The Good: Owner was able to run it for me and it seemed to run OK, not great. Has goodyear 10.5 ag tires in fair condition, still has factory hydrolift pulley.

Here is one for the hall of fame, the muffler someone made out of stainless.

I have another B-12 that I was looking for an engine for so this worked out well. I ended up pulling the engine, finding it to be .010 over, looked like it could use rings but that would come later. I sealed it up with a new head gasket, put on a new air filter, took the better carb and governor links off my old engine, put them on this one, installed in my "good" b12. It started all right but ran like it was a little out of timing, I found the points were gapped too narrow so I regapped them at .020 and it ran like a champ. Here is the repowered "good B-12"

ive paid alot more for worse. the tires alone where worth the $50. plus a running engine. very good deal.

b12s were shipped with that pully standard, if im correct...all of my b12s (4 to date) had the pulley scott

Wonder if they just had an over abundance of short drive shafts for the hydro lift assemblies, so to use them up they just put in the pulley. (which they would have had too many of as well....ok retarded thought) OR This was so it would make it easier on the dealer to ADD the hydro lift. Just break the drive shaft off, slip the belt on, bolt her back up. Heck, I don't know. Lets ask Maynard, he likes figuring out this stuff. MAYNARD!!!!????!!! What gives with the hydro pulleys and no hydro's??? hehe Sean

The 12HP engines came stock with the "hydro pulley." The 10 HP engines did not... those "add-on" pulleys for 10HP engines are pretty hard to find.

Sean, I think the driveshafts are the same length with or without hydrolift, the pulley replaces one set of spacers (there are 4 total without pulley, only use 2 with the pulley, then you loosen the set screw and slide the driveshaft accordingly until it all lines up correctly. Often these original pulleys get lost or damaged.

I'd say you did real well for 50 buck, engine, and ag tires, plus a badly needed seat:D, even if not oem.

I saw a B-10 at an auction a couple years ago that looked worse, didn't run go for around 275.00. So I would say great deal, I would have been smilin':D:D!

That's a great buy for 50.00. Lots of good parts. I would buy it in a second for that much. Wish I could find a couple of them like that for parts.