Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP

outlawed0810

went out to try to mow today and ran into a snag...can't get my landlord to fire....turns over but just won't engage...any suggestions? not sure what i'm doing wrong but obviously something...lol.

Do you have spark? Is it getting fuel? Pull the spark plug and spray some ether in it, see if it fires then, that would indicate you are not getting fuel.

thanks for the suggestion.... pulled the spark plug last night and cleaned it off... gonna try starting it this morning after putting it back in and we'll see how it works. also had a suggestion that i might have fouled the plug since i used the choke and probably shouldn't have cause of the warmer weather around here now. still new at this but i'm learning sm01

Put a couple tablespoons of gas in the plug hole before you put it in. If it fires off you have spark and It maybe a carb problem. If it doesn't fire take fingernail file and draw it through the points a couple times, then use a business card through the points to clean them of oil. I use the metal fingernail files so you don't have the grit from the sandpaper.

Yes Ron, there's gas in it but you weren't the first to question that:D I may be a girl but I'm not blonde...at least most of the time..lol;). But to answer your second question...nope no fuel shut off on this one. Hey Scott, Bob's not home..lol. But he's still putten around here and there....somewhere. Thanks for all the info guys and it'll be handy if I ever run into another problem. But I guess in this case the suggestion of just having a fouled plug was the answer. Got some input on drying the plug off and then cleaning it with a wire brush. Put the plug back in this morning and sure enough...gave a spit and sputter and then VRRRROOOOOOM off she went. Silly old thing just wanted to be babied a little or just stubborn like the previous owner..lol. Anyway, great big thanks to Zippo for his generous insight and knowledge. Got the yard all mowed. Now I gotta wait for the darn grass to grow again for some more fun.

Yep...learned that lesson here actually. I know a little about car engines, and figured the fouling would be burned off like in a multi-cylinder engine. Nope. They stay fouled in the one bangers, no matter how long you run them, until they are hand cleaned.