Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Mower Belt Problem

Unkle Spike

I just bought a used 6216, and the mower belt will not disengage, the tractor didn't have one on it when I bought it. I put a new one on and it kept trying to turn with the engine, I did all belt adjustments and installation by the book. It eventually caught the belt and broke it. HELP!!!

Welcome and hello Jeff. My wife is from Powell and we live in Morristown so we are almost neighbors. I'm not familiar with a 6216 but there are Club members that are who should be able to help.

Did you purchase a Simplicity belt or an aftermarket belt? Did you replace the belt stops correctly adjusted? Aftermarket belts are sure to break in a short time Simplicity belts are recommended and cheaper in the long run. on the main page in the Search for Manuals at Simplicity Mfg. Box use one of the following MFG#'s to down load the operators manual 1690688 1690756. Belt routing 6200 series

It was a Stens aftermarket, I adjusted the stops by the manual, and the tension was right on. The belt disengaged with plenty of slack that it should have been fine, until I tried to start it :O

Aftermarket belts are not designed to run on the back side of the belt using flat idler pulleys in direction changes as in 90° turns or designed to twist from a horizontal plane to a vertical plane. The belt on the mower deck for the 6216 makes two direction changes (one 135° & one 90° turn) on the back side of the belt on flat idler pulleys as shown in the multiple direction diagram on pulleys C & D It also makes 4 direction changes on the V side of the belt (three 135° turns & one 180° turn) Example horizontal plane to a vertical plane. [img]/club2/attach/UCD/6000DrivebeltRouting.jpg')[/img] Example multiple direction change multiple flat back side idlers.

With the correct Simplicity belt (length and type/cross section) installed in the correct pattern with the belt stops installed and adjusted and the tension poperly adjusted and all pullies in good shape and turning freely you should not have a problem Again Aftermarket belts do not work well nor last on Simplicity equipment. They are not designed for the task. The correct belts for the 6216 mower deck. MFG# 1690708 42" Rotary Mower Arbor Drive Belt# 1668066 Length 120.1" Type HA MFG# 1690709 48" Rotary Mower Arbor Drive Belt# 1703466 Length 126.1" Type HA V Belts [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22257[/url] Belt Cross Section Chart [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22256[/url]

I found a Simplicity belt locally for $40 will install tonight after rechecking all the adjustments. thanks to all for your input.

I installed a genuine Simplicity belt and it spins just fine, it still will not disengage fully. Tomorrow I am going to sand the pulley that drives the mower, it has rubber and crud on it, and I think this is causing it to snag. Will take a bit to get used to this "big" tractor, as the 6216 and my little 4212 are quite different animals. I am going to build a driveway drag to get the ruts out of the gravel driveway, and with Ag tires and wheel weights this should be a breeze for this tractor.