Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RBT's...FDT's...etc

msiebern

Since there is always much discussion on the merits of your choice RBT or FDT, I thought I would add some data from my latest scientific test. Although I have several of each type, it has been many years since I used an FDT to mow the yard. I found the comfort and ease of the Hydro's and Shuttles on my 7xxx series tractors to convenient to give up. With the hydro over at the farm and my son borrowed the shuttle, so I thought, let's just throw the deck on the B112 and see if she still has what it takes. Still got a great stripe job and the lawn looked great, but I do have a few observations. 1. Roy had posted earlier that it is easier to catch yourself on a sidehill with a FDT. My observation when trying to use body english to maintain an upright position while mowing a ditch bank on an AC B112, the "Comfort enhancing" armrests can be a real pain in the back side when trying to move your ballast as far as possible to one side!:O:O 2. Shuttle vs hydro vs variable vs straight transmission. When mowing in tight conditions and near steep hillsides, know what tractor you're on! It is not too bad switching from shuttle to hydro, but when you are on a variable and come up to a point where you must stop or reverse directions, REMEMBER .. you can pull the variable lever as far back as you want and it won't stop or change directions!B)B)B) As far as the straight transmission, be very familiar with the shift pattern! If your ballast prevents you from seeing the shift pattern label on the shifter, be very careful! Nothing worse than shifting into reverse and turning around to see where you are backing, letting out on the clutch and finding yourself launched forward into a tree, bush, mother's flowers, or rose bush!:(:( RBT's vs FDT's. Each has it's own neat features. I prefer tilling, plowing, and other dirt work with the FDT's, but I am sorry to say I am spoiled buy the creature comforts of my 7xxx tractors when it comes to yard work.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The best of both worlds, Hydrostatic, hydro lift.
And no butt bumpers... er I mean armrests!

Maynard- is the generator a factory option or something you've put together? how much does it put out and how does it work for you? Nice machine! -Don

I always liked my Simplicity 700 the best for mowing. It steers very easy, has a tight turning radius, and has a low center of gravity so its great for hillsides. All my RBT's I've used lately are 6 speeed or 3 speed and the 6 speed is a pain because the hi/lo lever keeps slipping back to low when I engage the clutch (I shouldn't have lubricated the linkages).

Mike I'm with you I love the FDT for general and garden work but really like my shuttle for mowing. Boy Maynard I* don't think I have ever owned a tractor that looks that nice. Anyway my 3410 3 speed is still the the tuffest little tractor I have ever seen, It's soooo tuff I think of it as a honorary Oliver:D. Sorry D-17 JW

It is a factory option MFG# 1690558 5KW Alternator 110V - 220V output. It does what it was intended to do I cheated a little bit I like the original B series seat better.

This tractor has seen a lot of country. It was built by Smilinsam. It has been in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New york, Massachusetts, Connecticut New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Provence of Ontario and Provence of Quebec, Canada. Roughly 10,000 miles on a trailer give or take a few miles. It is not a trailer queen it earns it's keep to.

RBT -- Running Board Tractor, i.e. early-1970s and newer FDT -- Foot-Dragging Tractor, i.e. one without running boards, early-1970s and older

quote:
Originally posted by john-holcomb
Mike I'm with you I love the FDT for general and garden work but really like my shuttle for mowing. Boy Maynard I* don't think I have ever owned a tractor that looks that nice. Anyway my 3410 3 speed is still the the tuffest little tractor I have ever seen, It's soooo tuff I think of it as a honorary Oliver:D. Sorry D-17 JW
Call it what you want to John, it's still ORANGE.;) I have only one thing to say for all the points of interest in this thread, POWERMAX:DdOd

Just my two cents but I've gotten very comfrotable mowing on my fdt. I'm a big fan of hydrostatic as well. Hopefully it'll look as nice as Maynard's eventually... for now, it's a blast to use and so far has done everything I've asked and more.

Well I have to chime in here... I have owned and used both types. I started with a 700 way back, then went to an inherited 712s . Since then I have owned, or own, the following: 110, 3416, 3410, and a 7116h. I have used them for mowing, tilling, snow removal and driveway grading. I have yet to keep a FDT... I just do not like them... I currently have the 3410 and the 7116h in the above list, the 3410 is undergoing a coil conversion and will become my main grader tractor. The 7116H is my mowing machine and is my favorite Simplicity ever. Handles great, mows great and the hydro works... well... great! I like having a larger area to place my feet and the fact that they feel more secure on side hills.

quote:
Originally posted by Les
If you REALLY want to get spoiled, get a Conquest! I did. Should have went that way years ago.
les, i may look into a conquest. they come up on ebay once in a while. I have heard that there are adapters for all of the old style attachments to fit the conquest. is this true? If so it could make that purchase worth while.

I am not an expert on the Conquest. I do know that you can buy an adaptor kit to mount a snowblower dating back to 1974, or the year they lenghtened the snowblowers for the 3300 series tractors, might have been 1971. I was afraid of the foot controlled hydro, but now I would not go back. The foot control combined with the 18" turning radius has cut my mowing time by almost a third, and that is compared to a Kubota with a 3pt rear mount 60" mower. If fact it works so nice that I sold the Kubota. Having 20 horses under the hood doesnt hurt either. SmilinSam is the real expert here, I dont think any rear mount attachments will convert.

I love the FTDs, we (my sons and I) are in the process of collecting the whole B-series (we have all except the B-110 and the B-210...oh and a B206!) if we wanted total convenience we would use a newer tractor, but we love the old allises. Thanks, John

quote:
Originally posted by Les
I am not an expert on the Conquest. I do know that you can buy an adaptor kit to mount a snowblower dating back to 1974, or the year they lenghtened the snowblowers for the 3300 series tractors, might have been 1971. I was afraid of the foot controlled hydro, but now I would not go back. The foot control combined with the 18" turning radius has cut my mowing time by almost a third, and that is compared to a Kubota with a 3pt rear mount 60" mower. If fact it works so nice that I sold the Kubota. Having 20 horses under the hood doesnt hurt either. SmilinSam is the real expert here, I dont think any rear mount attachments will convert.
For the Blowers you buy a Landlod DLX type blower hitch and then a kit to convert that to the conquest. With the tillers you can also buy a conversion kit to convert Soveriegn style tillers to the conquest. Of course you also have to buy a rear lift for the Conquest too. Once you have the rear lift you can also use any Soverign style Brinly hitch with your conquest to mount a rear plow, blade, disc or any other Brinly atachment made in the last 40 years. Rear hitches and conversion kits are not cheap though. rear Lift for ConQuest was $398.00, landlord hitch was $265.00,Blower kit was $158.00, and tiller kit was $253.00. Those prices were from 2004.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll give the Rbt's points for servicability but they just feel too big for my likes as I have a relatively small yard. I also like the hydro-lift/hydro trans combo that was availible with the 3112, 3212 and the Allis HB 212's. I have 4 fdt's in the line-up, all with 3spd's 1 with the hi/lo and 1 variable. I did have a 3410s for a bit but I did not like the shuttle, I found it too easy to put in reverse in 4th gear with a near wot! I do miss the hydro trans but for now I'll live without. While I've seen a few loaders mounted on a RBT I'd prefer a FDT for that purpose as the factory loaders were designed to be there. My favorite tractor is the Simplicity 700 as they are small,light and have enough guts to do anything you ask. Just my 2C.:D

FINALLY !!!! I was wondering what an RBT and FDT was!! Tell me FDT users, how the heck do you keep from running yourselves over when running without a Mower deck? Perhaps a demonstration video would help???? "Here, Hold my Beer and Watch This!"

quote:
Originally posted by Unkle Spike
Tell me FDT users, how the heck do you keep from running yourselves over when running without a Mower deck?
Keep your feet up!:D