Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

Easy on the grease already...

rsnik
Don't try this at home! I gave the 42 inch deck on my latest, a 7013S, a quick makover. Lots of naval jelly, wire brushing and black rust killer primer. New belts, idler pulley and spring and some gator blades. I put on the blades last. With my Murray 48 inch deck, when mounting blades I grease the spindle until grease squirts out where the blade mounts. Well, I just keep on greasing the 7013 deck spindles and no grease squirts out. I go through an entire tube of grease and more. I just went out and tried it and very shortly I was mowing with the center blade only. I pull the deck, remove the covers, and OOPS, the grease was oozing up around the pulleys. It slathered up onto the pulleys. Then when the blades got under load the extremely greasy belt slipped, got super hot and turned into greasy, shredded, spaghetti (off to buy a new belt we go). Glad I got my power washer working. Going to have to drag the deck over to my neighbor's yard when he's not home, as there is REALLY a lot of grease in there. I will say one thing, those bearings run so quiet it's just amazing!

Kent
The arbors use sealed bearings -- unless you've modified them or something -- or used different aftermarket bearings. All the grease in an arbor does is keep moisture from building up in there and rusting things...

rsnik
Well, the good news is Capeway Bearing charged $12.70 for a new Dunlop belt and after some grease cleanup the deck runs great. These bearing/belt businesses are a godsend. You walk in with your problem issue and if you can show them the broken pulley, idler, bearing, belt or give them a part number you walk out with what you need for a bargain price.

rsnik
I absolutely agree. I am new to these old Simplicity tractors. If 2 squirts is good for a machine, don't squirt 5 gallons of grease in just because it's a Simplicity. I lost the entire fall season striper fishing last year because of finding this club and buying and working on 4 tractors I bought. I had a lot more fun. Plus the wife liked it for obvious reasons (Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, have a husband who fishes and he will spend a fortune on rods, reels, lures, bait, beer, boats, and gas). Part of the fun, though, is laughing at the rediculous things that happen while learning the ropes.

Simplicity314
he he he...I hear that. I had oil collecting on the head of my landlord and on the car-type coil that is mounted close to it. Well, I knew coils had or have oil in them, and thought the coil was leaking and replaced it. Same problem, didn't know what was going on. Thought I was overheating it somehow and they kept leaking. Finally, I loaded it up and brough it to a member's house so he could look at it. He cinched down two head bolts. Problem solved. B)B)