Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Baron / Shuttle adjustment

larwill60

Hi again guys, This no doubt has been asked many times before. I have a older Simplicity Baron, Model 990979, shuttle drive. I've adjusted the forward,reverse according to the manual. I can get it close to correct but not good enough. The planetary or trans makes a heck of a grinding noise in reverse. Do you guys have any secrets on the adjustment. Thanks Larry NNW In

I have 2 Baron shuttles. I am not a shuttle doctor but I will tell you what I do. I grab spare planetary drives and any and all parts involved with the shuttle drive any time I find them cheap. I had a wierd problem with a 7013S I bought where everything was slightly out of alignment. A bunch of shuttle parts I bought on ebay came in handy because I just replaced parts until the problem went away. With the planetary (again, I am not the brightest crayon in the box here, this is just what I do). I jack up the tractor and remove the right, rear wheel and carefully pry off the cover on the planetary drive. I squirt in PB Blaster. I rotate the planetary a quarter rotation or so every few hours and spray in more. Then I pack it with grease and replace the cap. I don't think there is an adjustment to calm the howling noise in reverse. What amount of howl signals immediate failure is not known to me. One of my shuttles, very well lubricated, howls loudly in reverse. I used it very hard for snow removal this winter and it is just fine (I still grab every planetary spare if the price is right).

Thanks for the info. What does the PB blaster do for it?? Mine is not rusted or froze up. If I adjust mine by the book, I have fine forward but no or very little reverse ( slips bad ) I have the threaded type adjusment rod, with spring. I adjust the hub brake band just tight enough to stop the hub when going in reverse. Larry NNW In.

PB Blaster is a product similar to WD40 that many people find works even better. The culprit for slippage, if you have adjusted everything, step by step, according to what the manual says, is the belts themselves. You have two belts on the planetary, an inner and outer. They are easy to replace, once you remove the belt guards. I bought some big, fat, original Simplicity belts that cured the problem on one shuttle (they are spendy, though). I got some original belts in a lot of used parts and no matter how ratty they look I use them because they cure the slippage problem on the other shuttle. You will find that you can adjust to where you have no slip forward, but big slip in reverse. Or adjust some more and have no slip in reverse but major slip going up a hill forward in anything but first gear. The nature of the beast with a shuttle is getting the forward and reverse belts to both be in adjustment (no creep in neutral) and both bite hard and not slip while going ahead or backing. Cleaning the pulleys and using a belt dressing helps, but it seems like those fatter, 'mo betta Simplicity belts (even ratty old ones) help a lot. Slippage, howling and the need for frequent adjustment are issues with the "high maintenance relationship" gig of owning a shuttle. I hear about high performance Gates Green belts or something like that used by tractor pulling fans. I wonder if those belts would cure the shuttle slipping blues.

The difference is in the cross section size/type of the belt between Simplicity belts and Fractional HP after market belts. Simplicity's belt performance depends on correct Length, cross section/type and Belt design Which the aftermarket belts do not have or compare to in quality. Aftermarket belts might be cheaper and may work but are less efficient and more expensive in the long run.