Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions for the group....

Mikedinma

I was just recently given a later model (bumble bee decals) AC B-10 tractor. The mower doesn't fire but the tractor is all there and includes a manual lift, mowing deck, and wheel weights. As I'm preparing to restore (not show condition but a usable restoration) my B-112 this Spring and have a B-110 in waiting, I'm not sure what I'd like to do with the B-10. To help make that decision, I need to have some questions answered: - Will any of the drive train components off the B-10 swap into the B-112/110? I've noticed that the drive belt system looks quite different but I haven't had to time to investigate the differences further. - Neither the 112 nor 110 have the original seat. The arm rest frame on the B-10 mounts to the slanted portion of the fenders. Will this seat mate up to the 112 (112 has a more flat fender/seat mount)? - The wheel weights on my 112 are an aftermarket brand. The weights on the B-10 look like hollowed out 1/2 spheres (like a contact lense) with ribs running from the center out to the edge. The weights mount to the retaining ring via three studs. The ring is mounted to four bolts that match the square cut outs in the rims. The only identifying marks on the weights are the name of the foundry and some yellow paint on the portion of the weight that faces the rim. What do original AC weights look like? The ones shown in the dealer catalog don't appear to have the shape that I described. Any help would be appreciated. If I decide to sell, I'll post it here first. Thanks, Mike

Hi, the B-10 drive system is entirely different than the B-110-B-112 drive system. The B-10 used a direct drive system which is a belt from the bevel box to the transmision using an idler pulley for clutch engagement/disengagement. On the B-110/B-112, they used a Variable speed drive system. The variable drive system uses 2 power adjusting pulleys and an idler for the clutch engagment/disengagement action. With the variable drive there are two pulleys on sheaves, it uses a lever by the dash to operate the system. On the lever there are seven positions, 1 being slowest,7 being the fastest. The lever moves a rod which controls the pulleys on the sheaves, when you push it to seven the pulley in the front is all the way together and the pulley on the back is spread apart as wide as the sheave allows this, by this principle,the ground speed would be the fastest in this range at number seven, with a "bigger" pulley in front from having been pushed together and a wider pulley in back, you would have the gear ratio formula for faster speed. In the number one position, you would acheive the slowest ground speed from having the front pulley spread apart as much as the sheave will allow, and the back all the way together and with this gear ratio formuala you will acheive slower ground speed. The system uses 3 forward gears and one reverse gear, in total there would be 21 speeds forward from having 7 ranges in each of the forward gears and you would have 7 reverse ranges since there is only one reverse gear with 7 ranges.So in general the more you move the lever closer to 7, the bigger the front pulley gets and the smaller the rear pulley gets, the more you move the lever to one, the smaller the front pulley gets and the bigger the rear one gets. So to sum this up, you would not be able to use many transmission components from the B-112/B-110 to the B-10, all you could only use is the actual transmission itself from the B-110/B-112/B10 as they used the same 3 speed transmision. The wheel weights on the B-10 are the original factory ones. For the seat you can try and it should work, I took the seat off my B-112 and put it on my Simplicity 700 and I had no problems. You can always try. The B-10 is a great machine and if you use it, you will really enjoy it. Good luck, -BradW

Great description of a variable speed system, Brad. A couple of clarifications, though... Mike, does your 110 and 112 have the same drive pulley system? Unless I'm mistaken, the B-110 was a 3-speed and the B-112 was the variable speed. That's what the sales info that I've seen shows, but it was when they were first introduced. That may have changed later, but I don't think so... I think the B-210 was the first 10HP tractor with the variable speed drive. Not only are the pulleys different, but the wheelbase is actually 4" longer on the variable speed tractors to provide room for this drive system. The hydros also have this longer wheelbase, too. That brings up a point -- I'd guess the HB-112 to be a pretty rare tractor, since it was only made one year. The first year of the 110/112's (shown on the site) didn't offer the hydro, only the last year.... Then, combine this with the higher price for the hydro, and I'll bet that they didn't sell that many, in comparison.... Also, regarding the seats. The B-110/112 seat will likely fit on a B-10 -- I haven't tried it, but it should, unless it's too wide, since the entire seat frame is "self-contained." But, I don't think the reverse is true -- I don't think you could use the seat frame from a B-10 on a B-110, since the arms mount on the fenders and not the flat part of the seat pan. Again, I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look promising to me, as it sounds like you're thinking the same thing...

Hi,I made a mistake but here are some notes to clear this up. *The "B-10" early was introduced as the model after the "B-1",A few years later they made some enginering improvements on the "B-10" and added a 1 horsepower more engine and re-named it the "Big Ten". The B-12 was introduced as the 12 horsepower model and when it came out the "Big Ten" was called the "B-10" again. The "B-10" late and the "B-12" used the bumble bee decals and the "B-12" used a deluxe "Highback" seat. Then the enginers came up with new hoods and other controls and options just basicly updating the "B-10" late and "B-12" models and introducing them as the "new" "B-110" and "B-112" models. The "B-110/B-112" sported new control groups and decals and some different looks and the "B-12" dropped the highback seat and used the "new", "wider" deluxe seat. The seat was just a newer better version of the one used on the "B-10,Big Ten" series.The "B-110" in the early years used the same drive system as the "B-10/Big Ten" series, a few years later they used the same "vari-drive" system as the "B-112" used, then they decided later on to name it the "B-210" which was a newer updated "B-110" and the did the same to the "B-112" now calling it the "B-212" As stated above in the later years they had a "B-112" hydro and a "B-212" hydro. The seat will fit your B-10 as it uses the same mounting patern. *Also, many people don't know but they actually had an "expeirimental" "B-310" which had a hydrostatic drive and lift, but they said it was to much like the "B-112" and "B-212" hydro models. It would be interesting to ever see one, but they never got into production. I wish you good luck,-BradW

Thanks for the input. The more I look at the B-10, the more that I want ot keep it whole. For now, I'll gather the remaining parts for the B-112 from another source and plan to work on the B-10 at a later date. Thanks for all the tech advice. Mike

you are all pretty much correct on the tractor designations ,but I would like to clear up one misconception the B110 was always the short tractor therefore no vary-speed you could only get veri- speed 0n B112 B212 B210 ANd 300 series it was dropped with the 400 series and replaced with the infamous shuttle shift. Just my2 cents worth as an old AC dealer Cal

One other thing. It was mentioned that the transmission from the B-10 could be used on the B-112 ( If I got that right). My B-112 uses a longer input shaft for the vari-drive, than what my Big Ten transmission has. I would assume this would be a common difference between all vari and solid pulley types in the B models.