Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrianP

Adjustable Seat Swap?

BrianP
Here's a question. Has anyone ever retrofitted an adjustable sliding seat assembly from a newer Simplicity to an older model? I've got long legs and frequently spend a long time in the saddle of my trusty 7016. After awhile, my knees started bothering me, so I raised the seat with some 2 inch square stock. That made riding easier until I needed to engage the clutch/brake pedal. I was able to apply the brakes, but just barely. Before any more Rube Golberg-ing on my part I thought someone else may have a better idea/solution.

Kent
Homey don't do RBTs, but you might find this valuable -- and the seat decks are the same. }:) http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/adjustable_seat.htm

HubbardRA
I did like Kent did on one of my tractors. When my oldest son wanted to do some tractor pulling in the stock class, his legs were not long enough to reach the clutch on my 61 Wards. I also wanted to pull that tractor in another class, so moving the seat permanently forward was out of the question. I took a set of seat slides off an automotive bucket seat and adapted them to the tractor. I put the latching lever in the rear so that it would not interfere with legs or gearshift in front. It worked out fine. I could slide the seat forward for my son, then slide it back when I wanted to drive it. That setup only raised the seat about one inch. Now that both boys are grown, there is no longer a sliding seat on that tractor. We all drive with the seat in the same position.

BrianP
Thanks a bunch, that's just what I need Kent. By the by, don't hate me because I'm an RBT-er, :p the machine I learned on was my father's B-10 an early '60's model I think. I hated to see it get left behind when we moved, but when you're a kid, you usually get outvoted on such matters. sm02 Great memories of that machine though. Don't tell my wife, but if I ever find another that I don't need a second mortgage for, or have to travel cross country to haul home, I may once again have an FDT in my stable. How come all the good machines are in PA, CT, or farther? Guess I'm an oddball living in SC and digging these great machines. Oh well, perhaps it's a good thing they're so far away. ;) I'd only have to build a bigger stable! Thanks again.

HubbardRA
Brian, Not many here in this part of VA either. I only have 4 and working on the 5th one. Been building mine from parts, since I can't find good whole tractors at decent prices in this area. When a deal comes up, I usually get beat out of it. Always a few dollars short on the bid, or a few minutes too late on getting in touch with the seller. Just had some parts from CT and PA dropped off to me at Spring Fling. JJ, If you are in NC, what is it going to take to get you to Spring Fling? I think we would all like to meet you. NC tends to have the PowerMax experts like you and Dave.:D

BrianP
I'll have to try for spring fling in '08. My pickup truck has been drilling for gold in my wallet recently and had to be towed to the dealership twice last month! :(! $ There's a Gathering of the Orange-South scheduled at the NC Agricultural center October 25th-28th 2007. I plan on trying for that show until my faith in my truck is restored. 8C8