Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mulching deck?

Tom Deutsch

I have a 917/7117 that I've always used just for tilling and hauling. My regular mulching mower broke down the other day, so I had to hook up the deck on the Deutz. Blew grass all over the place. In piles, in my wife's flower beds (I got her bark mulch "dirty"!), in the screens, on the deck... Has anyone ever modified one of these old decks to mulch? Is it as simple as bolting/welding on a plate to block the grass from coming out, and maybe installing a different set of blades? Or would it just choke up underneath there? Ideas? (I know, get my regular mower fixed!)^

I did just as you described, closed off the discharge port with metal, to use to mulch leaves. Worked OK for leaves when using after market Gator blades. I never tried it while mowing grass. Dan aka IronPony

Tom, You'd likely get the best results if you use either Gator-type blades (as IronPony describes) or very hi-lift mulching blades. These blades are designed to keep the clippings up in the air underneath the deck and chop them up into tiny pieces before they fall out...

Tom, another thing to consider is, the smaller the mulch clipping, the more it will want to stick to the mower deck. With that in mind, you will want to hose down underside of mower deck from time to time to keep the deck clean. To thick of a build up and the acids in the clippings will start to eat away the deck surface. Best way to clean mower deck is with very dry leaves in the fall and NO discharge plate. Dead leaves are a pumice so to speak that will clean the mower deck. Ground up leaves don't need to be raked either.