Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 620 bogs under a load

compostibles

Hey folks. It's time to get the grass cut....So I took out my ol' 620 and attempted to tackle the thick growth of clover and dandelions in my yard. I found that I had to take no more than 3" at a time and couldn't go up a hill, otherwise the engine bogged down. After a few times of this, I opened the hood and discovered my air intake pipe was collapsing under the load, so I cleaned the air filter and it worked better going uphill, but it still wasn't taking any more depth of cut and when I go through a thick patch of clover, the engine will again bog down. Am I just pushing this beast past its limits? I was under the impression that this thing should just walk through this stuff. My deck seems to be a bit higher on the left hand side, so I wonder if the grass isn't getting ejected very well, thereby causing the engine to be unhappy. How do you adjust the deck level? I had to quit after a couple hours of mowing because the engine died and I couldn't get it started. After letting it cool a few hours I was able to get it started again and made a few more laps... Thanks for your input. Jason

If it sat all winter with gas in it, The gas could be the part of problem. The gas now days don't do well setting all winter. What size deck do you have? How sharp are the blades? when was the last time the spindles greased?

The powermax's only had a 60" deck availiable. All the prior post's on the Onan's can come into play here. With the startup of mowing season and the thick growth you describe it will take a CCKB at it's peak to perform as it should under such a load. The place to start is a fresh tuneup and service. If the filter went long enough to choke up then a cleaning probably won't do much more than passify a problem. Replace the air filter and service your valves. Check your gas flow and check the timeing so it's dead on. Only if it has plenty of air and gas and the timeing and valves are set properly will the old girl perform as it should.

the height adj is done by turning the handles on each outer edge of the deck. I have mowed grass that is as high as the front tires full 60" cut, only had to slow down to a walk. as always check the simple things like filters first.

As Dave has said search on the onan issues, there is lots of information, You have the same issues as mine had when I got it, I added an electric fuel pump and the big thing at least for mine is the timming it sounds great with no load, but under load will barly move... get it timmed and a tune up

Do a carberetor servic kit: Kit # K2165 Can be purchased at: Bailey Motor Equipment 10501 South Orange Ave Orlando, FL 32824 Phone (407) 422-8134 Phone (800) 394-8134 Mike Easterling bmecomike@aol.com http://www.baileymotorequip.com/