Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar no spark

djcgrand

I have a 1990 Sunstar with the Kohler Magnum 20HP engine. I used the tractor on Saturday and things ran fine. Yesterday, however, I went to fire it up (which it typically does right away) and it wouldn't start. It was getting fuel and was turning over fine. I tested for spark and realized it was getting nothing at both plugs. It'll take some doing to fully access the coil so before I do that, I want to make sure there's nothing obvious that I'm missing. The seat switch seems to be fine. The crazy thing is that it was just running Saturday. I must add, that it did sit outside the past 3 days. I was out of town -- it may have rained a little bit. Any ideas, thoughts, input? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ambler: Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for your response. I was hoping you were going to say something along the lines of "sounds like this wire came loose." :) Do you know how to test the module?

The only test I know is if it fires. If it was a safety switch it wouldn't turn over. Module is like briggs magnetron. You have to remove engine, then the shields to get to it. Good write up in service manual. sometimes moisture penetrates the windings.

The coil does not require power to operate, it shuts off with ignition switch like a Briggs also

I don't know when they changed engines, but if it is the magnum it has one coil, and the command has two. I'd have to dig out my book to see how the two are commonly fed. It's kinda a pain to get to them, you have to pull the engine.

Hi Should be a plug with 2 or 3 wires going from the engine to the tractor harness. One of the wires will come from the center of the voltage regulater, and one from the ignition modues. If there is a carb solenoid it will be the third. Typically the white wire is the ignition wire. You should be able to unplug this connector and then check for spark. If you have spark, then it is a tractor problem. If not, then you'll likely have to pull the engine and take the blower housing off. With it off, unplug the "kill wire" from the module and take a set of jumper cables and jump to the starter and check for spark. If you still don't have spark, the mobule is bad. Good luck, Al Eden