Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117H hard starting

DorneyMA1

I ran it out of gas and now it won't start. You would think it's a diesel but a diesel is actually eaiser. I've tried dumping gas into carb but still no go. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jeff,
You just ran it dry running it or ran it dry and it's been sitting a while? Makes a difference. Anyway, assuming it's getting fuel to the carb, are you SURE that your fuel was fresh, clean and "DRY"? (NO water in it) Even a small amount of water can prevent the fuel from being drawn up the main jet. Fabricate a catch-pan from an aluminum food pan or plastic milk bottle such that it will slip in under the carb. (It's real tight on a KT.) While holding the fuel bowl on the carb, slightly loosen the bowl nut and drain the carb into the pan; both to prove fuel flow and to examine the fuel for contamination. You may have to ease the bowl loose from the gasket to get it to drain, but don't allow the gasket to get out of position. All that assumes a gravity-feed fuel system, which I think applies. If you have a fuel pump, you have to remove the fuel line from the carb, safely extend it as necessary to a catch-can, and crank the engine to prove the pump.
ALLOW ANY SPILL TO FULLY AIR DRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING A RESTART!
The only other likely thing is ignition. Does the engine have any history of hard starting? Even if not, remove the plugs, reconnect the coil wires to them and ground the plug bodies to engine metal. Crank the engine and observe for adequate spark. If none or doubtful, check/service/replace the points and condenser, by the book, and see what happens.
If you still have trouble, come on back and let us know. KT-17s are supposed to run!
Fred

Jeff, Two things I've done in the past is 1. Use starting fluid and 2. remove the spark plug and put a very small amount of gas in the spark plug hole. Be careful with this you don't want to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

If this is a gravity (no fuel pump) carb it is easy to vapor lock the fuel line from the gas tank to the carb. Be very careful now! Have a container or something to catch the gas in. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and when you get good flow out of the line quickly slide it back on the carb connection. On the B&S singles I have had to do this whenever I have removed the gas tank and reinstalled it.
MS

• 1 year later...