Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 101 bevel gear shaft bearing

Iraqnbackvet

Looking for any tips. My input shaft to the bevel gear box is a bit sloppy. I need to replace the needle bearing and seal. Is it as bad a job as it looks to get that gear box out? Thank you very much in advance, Mike

welcome to the club. I have rebuilt a bevel gear box (BGB), you have to remove the rear half of the tractor at the BGB. Once the tractor is split, it is not too difficult. There is a manual available, free from the simplicity tech pubs. You should invest the $10.00 to become a member, you will be able to post pictures etc. This site will be a valuable asset. JH

It is a fairly simple fix, if you have the time and patience, and a little mechanical ability thrown in. While you have it apart, there are other bearings and several seals you might also replace simply because. Join up, ask questions, any problems you might encounter are somewhere in the archives already, but we'll try again.

When you go to get parts I highly recommend Sandy Lake Implement. Brenda spent a lot of time with me trying to figure why my BGB parts didn't fit. She finally determined my BGB wasn't original for my AC 312. Ended up sending the whole BGB and parts to HER and shes getting me the right parts. $20.00 shipping and 1 week vs. $25.00 in phone calls over who knows how many weeks and ppuloing my few remaining hairs out. Works for me!

welcome, Mike! you'll need a couple of jack stands, 4 would be even nicer. it is only a relatively few bolts and the tractor is in two pieces, then getting the BGB out is easy. you can figure it out if you are handy by looking over the parts book for your tractor. It can be heavy work, and the jack stands help a lot. I used a hydraulic floor jack to help, that way even a semi-old man can do it solo. Fix the bearing soon. bad bad things happen when they are left.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you to everyone for you very helpful tips! I greatly appreciate it. I have it apart and need to go order all the seals and needle bearings etc. Are there any online parts resources for these tractors. It's easier than driving around to dealers. Mike

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=25&CatTitle= http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=26&CatTitle= http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=24&CatTitle= These links are to a few of our sponsors. They will help you out. Also, just in case you didn't check, these are the dealer in your area. KNOXLAND EQUIPMENT INC 6 WARNER RD WARNER, NH 03278 (603) 746-5260 Distance: 13 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) GREENLANDS OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT CORP 105 MANCHESTER STREET CONCORD, NH 03301 (603) 225-3387 Distance: 20 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) TUCKERS POWER EQUIPMENT CENTER 61 PINEHURST AVENUE KEENE, NH 03431 (603) 352-2245 Distance: 22 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) PINNACLEVIEW EQUIPMENT, INC. ROUTE 12 WALPOLE, NH 03608 (603) 756-3379 Distance: 24 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) And thank you for your service to our countrydOd and welcome to the club.:D

Thanks again! I went to Tuckers in Keene NH. The people there were superb and the owner was very enthusiastic in helping me when he heard I was restoring my 65 Landlord. I couldnt believe how much of the parts they had in stock. I had no idea that the drive shaft couplings had been updated over the years. Mine were the rubber disc and metal plate type. Well, I'm headed out to the garage. Thank you. Mike