Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

onan 24 hp torque info needed

clberryr

Hi Ya'll from far North Alabama! ?I am a new old simplicity tractor owner and need some help. We are having some issues with the tractor hard starting, overheating and just basically not running well. My father (who used to be a farmer in Iowa) said that the head gaskets need to be changed and the heads cleaned every ? hours and that doing that should get it 'up and running'... well we have the gaskets, tune up kit, etc. but my brother (the shade-tree mechanic on duty here at the old farm) said he needed the torque info before he gets started changing the gaskets. Does anyone know this info? I guess I should ask about a manual, but I don't know anything about the tracter other than it is a Simplicity Powr Max CCKB 2440H and has a 24 hp onan engine. boy do I feel stupid!:( Thanks!

First WELCOME; Second it is only a 19 1/2hp that they call 20hp, before you pull the heads check the compression on each side, timeing, points gap, make sure you are getting enough gas fuel pumps get weak, and coil. Other than that I do not know the torque for the head bolts off hand.

CCKB is 20HP. Head bolt torque 29-31 ft lbs, point gap .020. Should really pull shrouds & check for clogged cooling fins. Valve clearance intake .007, exhaust .016. Timing .020 BTDC. Also heads should be retorgued after being run a while when totally cooled down. StanD

dOd Wow! 4041 powrmax 19.5hp I figured this out after reading and searching and .... well you can imagine. The local tree mechanic said this is great info and will start on it all in the morning! Thank you so much for the help, hints and info. I'll be back, I'm sure! Thanks again!