Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EricD

gator blade question

EricD
Mowing season is here and it's time for new blades on the 6216. Will gator blades work well on a 48inch deck (with right hand discharge)and if so, where is the best and most inexpensive place to find them? Thanks in advance.

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by Unkle Spike
What do they do? Or how are they better, I have looked at them for my 6216....
Gator blades will mulch up grass and leaves much better than stock blades. They are thicker and more durable that stock blades. I have witnessed a older 42 inch deck on a B110, literally mowing in the woods. Oh the noises we heard!:O It worked great and held up amazingly! Ask Rob-b he was there. I got my set from Jacks.

My commercial guys use Reg. straight blades at first of season, and then switch to gator mulcher mid season till end. As for home owners: Last year 42" AYP was the big seller, this year 46" MTD star blade.

EricD
Thanks everyone and for the link to your previous post simpleton7016. I'll figure out what size blade to order and get going. My deck is a 48 inch but the hanger assembly is from a 42 inch so the model # is incorrect.

Isleblue65
I just got my 3 Gator Blades yesterday from Jack's. One thing I noticed is that the thick black paint or powder coating on the blades makes the cutting edge appear rounded off instead of sharp. I give my stock blades a nice hand file at the beginning of the season, and they can cut paper when new. The Gator Blades edge could hardly cut through cheese as they are. Are you supposed to sharpen these things before use?

WITom
quote:
Originally posted by Isleblue65
I just got my 3 Gator Blades yesterday from Jack's. One thing I noticed is that the thick black paint or powder coating on the blades makes the cutting edge appear rounded off instead of sharp. I give my stock blades a nice hand file at the beginning of the season, and they can cut paper when new. The Gator Blades edge could hardly cut through cheese as they are. Are you supposed to sharpen these things before use?
I never go for a razor sharp edge. Seems I read once that all that is needed is to remove the edge to the point that there are no nicks or burrs. I always end up with a somewhat rounded edge after "sharpening". If I'm wrong on this, I hope someone sets me straight! :)

Isleblue65
I just read that on another forum too. Someone said that their blades lasted longer if they dulled the sharp edge by going lightly over it one pass with a file. I did that to my Gator blades after sharpening them. We'll see how it cuts when this rain stops.

ehertzfeld
Well I just got back from mowing my mom's lawn. This was the first cut so the grass was up to my knees!:D I took Ugly Betty with the 42 inch deck with the gator blades. It did a fantastic job! It didn't mulch it up like I thought, but it did mow the saplings and branches nicely!:D It did so well, that it shot a rock right through my passenger window!:O:(C Thankfully the window tint kept it from crashing in. I got a place coming tomarow to replace it. I would recommend then to any one despite what brand of tractor.

Roy
Elon, "it shot a rock right through my passenger window!" You might want to consider putting a rubber deflector on your mower discharge. Would save windows and possible injury to someone. Just a suggestion.

jlasater
I'm happy with the Gator blades I installed on my 716H. I don't notice them mulching the grass any more than normal blades, but the thicker blades will hold an edge longer.