Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D air filter

mikeb

Just brought home an early B10 with a 23D engine. Runs, but is missing the air filter element. Any one have a modern day reference number or part number for the air filter? I've searced the website, but have come up empty. I realize I could call up any one of our sponsers and have one shipped out here to the west coast, was just hoping for a part number I could use at the local parts house if one exists. Thanks, Mike Bennett Fresno, Ca

Mike, Get your engine model and Code numbers off the shroud. Then go the the B & S web site and do a parts manual look up for your 23D engine. Should be able to find the air filter part number. Can do the same thing at Jacks Small Engines web site. Or, your local friendly B & S dealer should be able to find quickly the P.N. Good luck,

If your air cleaner is the type shown, the element (535 in drawing) is Briggs part #270093 - FILTER A/C FOAM.

Thanks for all the help. Funny thing, when I look at the data plate on the engine, under the model # it's stamped 23D, yet the B&S website won't accept that model number: needs to be 5 or 6 digits long. :( I substitute the number 243431 from the early B10 spec sheet at SimpleTractors, and the search engines work fine. :) Go figure. A further mechanical inspection last night of my tractor turned up a few more things I'll be needing, so I'll just order all the stuff I need from one of our sponsors and have it all shipped out west at the same time. Thanks again for the help, mike bennett fresno, CA

The 243431 is the replacement engine for 23D. The 23 number is part of the preswitch over to the new number system Briggs did in the early sixty's. There was a link a while ago for the 23 spec sheet on the briggs site.

FWIW, Even though Briggs asks for a 5-6 digit model number, if you type in 23D in the model field and enter the type code, the parts list and the owner's manual will come up. That is how I got mine :) Matt