Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help

Jac

Have a 2010 with a 42" deck. Went to the dealer to get a belt from the mower deck to the pto. The 105099 was an old part no. and he gave me a 174911. It seemed to be the right length, but it rode very low in the pullies. Needless to say after two mowings it failed. Is that the right belt? Thanks Jack

Your old belt number was probobly 108099 = 174911 = 2174911SM = 44.1" HA belt. That's the correct belt.

what rpm are you tryng to engage belt at? i have talked to belt manufactures belts need to be snapped in place instead of slipped in at lower rpms

Belts running low in the pulleys (riding in the bottoms)will definitely fail prematurely due to over heating. Was the belt marked on the back with the proper number or was it just marked on the package sleeve?

The belt was marked 174911 on the back and on the cardboard sleeve. I leave the deck in the down position all the time. When I engage the belt, I do so at about 2/3 throttle. I checked my other two tractors, and the belts ride high in the pullies. Could a cast iron pully wear this bad? Thanks Jack

I'd just go to the next thickness belt.Belts are designed to pull off the sides but when they run deep in the pulley they are pulling off the bottom and will fail quickly as yours did.Also industrial supply houses generally have much better quality belts than lawnmower type places for about the same money.

acfarmer Aftermarket belts are not the answer. The answer is to find the cause of the failed belt and fix it. Not finding the cause will just cause more failed belts and aftermarket belts will not stand up to the stresses that a Simplicity belt will. There are no better Quality belts than Simplicity belts. Simplicity belts are designed for these tractors and applications. They might be a little more expensive but are cheaper than two or three aftermarket belts. Simplicity belts are designed to run on the sides and tops of the belts.

I agree on the quality of Simplicity belts. There is definitely something going on to make an arbor drive belt fail so quickly! Tom

The pullies appear to be original. I plan to change the pulley on the spindle, and try another belt. I ordered both from Sandy Lake. I'll let everyone how I make out. Thanks Jack

• 2 months later...
The cross drive belt (174911) at 44.1" was to short. The deck turns out to be a 990575 which uses a 168171 which is 3" longer. Thanks again Maynard for the earlier help. Jack

Jac, I got a good chuckle thinking about how much energy and labor (not to mention cussing) you must have exerted to get belt on that was 3 inches too short! sm01 I just about got a hernia trying to put on a belt that was only an inch too short once. Not to mention getting my finger smashed between the pulley and the belt when it finally was installed! You must be either one huge dude or an ingenious belt-put-er-on-er. Kudos

quote:
Originally posted by Jac
The cross drive belt (174911) at 44.1" was to short. The deck turns out to be a 990575 which uses a 168171 which is 3" longer.
This has got my curiosity up. The 168171 belt is a double V belt. If the deck still has the double V pulley on it has the PTO setup on your 2010 been changed to double V? Even if it has that belt should be too long. If the deck pulley has been changed to the proper one for a V belt and the PTO is original to the 2010 then the 174911 (44.1") belt should be correct. The 990575 decks were originally used on tractors with a longer wheel base than the 2010 and used the longer belt.

When I was at Sandy Lake, we took measurements of the pullies on a Big 10 and they were the same as mine. The difference was the center of the belly shaft on the PTO to the center of the arbor shaft. The measurement was taken with the PTO swung rearward against the stop. My distance was greater, than the distance Bill and I got at Sandy Lake when we measured the Big 10. I put a 46" aftermarket on, and the life increased 100% over the Simplicity 174911. By the way, I did struggle to get that shorter belt on Simpleton. I can laugh now, but it wasn't funny then. Jack