Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mikeb

early B10 driveshaft couplings

mikeb
I recently purchased my first round hood FDT: an "early" B10. :D Both driveshaft couplings need replacing. These are the steel/rubber/steel sandwich couplings, not the fiberglass disc couplings I'm more familiar with on my 700 series and Pmax tractors. Looks like they went with the fiberglass discs the following year for the "Big Ten" B10. I haven't done a detailed examination of the parts list yet, but at least the drive shafts seem to be the same between both years. Can I replace my worn out couplings with the fiberglass discs in an early B10, or do I have to run the older style steel/rubber/steel couplings? If I can run the fiberglass discs, is there anything else I need to change? With several other tractors running the fiberglass discs, it would be convenient to run all the same style couplings if possible. BTW, this tractor will likely become my lawn tractor and get used weekly throughout the mowing season. As such, having a hydro trans would be very beneficial. I am considering at this time possibly converting this tractor to hydro using a hydro BGB and rear end from a 716H I already have. Given this possible conversion, would that change the answer above regarding what coupler discs to use? Thanks, Mike Bennett Fresno, CA

HubbardRA
You can directly replace the rubber/metal couplings with the fiberglass discs. I did it on my 61 Wards and they have weathered many years of tractor pulling and three different engines, without any deterioration. You may have to stack some washers or make a couple spacers to take up the difference in thickness between the old type and the fiberglass disks. I usually take the set screw loose on the BGB shaft so that that end can float while assembling. After the disks are all bolted down, then re-tighten the set screw on the BGB shaft. You do not want to put those disks into tension or coompression along the direction of the driveshaft. This can cause a premature failure.

Kent
You'd use the same length driveshaft regardless of which tranny you use on the back of it. Be aware that if you do convert to a hydro then the rear half of the tractor will be 4" longer so the original seat pan/fenders will not fit without some extensive modification. One of the "flat pans" from later-model tractors should bolt right on, though...

mikeb
Thanks for the info. I actually found some spare fiberglass disc couplers last night in my spare parts pile so I may be set. Once I mock up the changes and figure out the spacer issues, I'll post again with a pic or two. mike bennett fresno, CA