Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tracktor312

1994 regent

tracktor312
I have a chance to pick one up reasonable the owner states the hydro is going are they good tractors I am not familiar wwith them

Roy
Getting CRS as I age but I recall some Regents had wheels on the rear outboard edge of the mower deck rather than full length rollers. Suggest you check on that.

Al
Hi, How reasonable is reasonable? If it has the hydro-geAR transmission, first thing to check is if the brakes are dragging. These have a multiple disk brake and it is located up in the transmission housing and the anchor tabes extend into a rectangular hole in the bottom of the transmission. If they are not lubed regularly, they get rusty and they drag. They should have some penetrating lube sprayed up on the disks at least 2 timies a year. (Same for Broadmores) These brakes were highly touted and really holding. That is correct. However if they get rusty on the shaft and don't move freely, can "stop" the transmission. Next check the governor setting. Many engines were shipped at 3200. This is too slow and the hydro pump is running below rated rpm. Set governor for 3600. Next check the drive belt for wear or glazing. Also checking the idler pivots are free and the belt is getting properly tightened. Above also applies to Broadmores. If thes things are OK and it is still weak, you will need to get inside. If it is an early one with the hydro-gear transmission, there were a number of failures. Actually many can be repaired if one has the time to lap the mating surface of the center section and the pump rotating group. If one orders a replacement transmission, you will get the Broadmore version that has the extra reduction gears in it. On these lighter frame units, they have lasted well and caused few problems. Some of the single reduction units in these tractors would tend to get weak climbing hills, particularly when hot. The problem was aggravated when catchers were used and then used on inclines. They would continue to get weaker. I know of several that have rejuvenated by lapping. It is not practical in a shop with a 50.00 an hr labor rate, but for someone at home it is. Al Eden

tracktor312
Thanks guys I bought it tonight had to wait 1 1/2 hours for him to mow his lawn seemed ok on the flat lawn a little slow on hills brought her home and power washed under tractor it was 3/4 to 1 inch thick with grass and mud checked belt it is new he stated it got a little worse with new belt I put belt dressing on the belt it now will spin the tires on a hill I hope that did it we will see drove it for about 1/2 hour goes good I got the tractor with bagger and mulching kit for 300. cosmetically it looks great garaged its whole life now we have to see if it goes good tom.