Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

it worked (yet another What Is It puzzle)

DMedal

what is it? (answers at end, see how early you can figure it out) here's one piece

this is a really important part of it:

I think quite a few of you can tell from this one:

rest of the parts:

Those of you who have all the manuals committed to memory already know. Here it is on the tractor:

I spent a couple of hours tilling with it yesterday after numerous trials and fixes, it works great. What isn't fabricated yet is the clutch lever mechanism. For now the threaded rod in the picture provides tension on the idler. Since I typically till for over an hour at a go that's not a huge deal right now. Pat Rarick deserves credit for the idea of what bearings to use, the really hard part - and for inspiring me to attempt this. Several members of this site provided critical dimensions needed to allow me to fabricate the pulley bearing assembly. Somewhere there exists a whole pile of lost tiller pulley assemblies divorced from their 32" tillers, right next to the pile of missing socks. I figured I'd have to pay more for this thing than for the tiller itself and got to tinkering.

Don, A step by step of the fabrication process with dimensions, specs and suppliers with pics would make a great addition to the Technical Tips and Articles section. Congrats on your success!

quote:
Originally posted by gregc A step by step of the fabrication process with dimensions, specs and suppliers with pics would make a great addition to the Technical Tips and Articles section.
If you think others would be interested, I'll do that. I've had it apart so many times already that I could do it from memory I think. But first I need to duplicate the clutch lever part. That was one piece I was sure I could do better, but the more I study it the less I think so. I need to visit Pat's again with my camera and measuring tape, that's a pretty precise part. So far I've got about $45 in this thing, most of that in pulleys and bearings. -Don

I would like to see this in the tech and tip area. I have the tractor and the tiller but not the piece in-between . It would be nice to make one. Thanks for your willingness to share. Daveb

Great job! I would also like to see a diagram & parts list. As you stated there are alot of these missing out there. I think the key to longevity to all these old tractors is that they remain useful and functional otherwise they sit unused and eventually sold / scrapped. How long can you justify keeping a 600 lb piece of equipment in the garage if it "could till the garden if I only had the right piece..." Eventually the significant other runs out of patience. All the members who are creative enough to fab and kind enough to share their ideas breathe life into this club. And thanks to the guys who take on the job of fabricating these ideas for us members who are less handy. Kudos!