Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

100th Anniversary Tractor Value

Mike

Ok, I already know that it's only worth what someone will pay for it. My brother in law's father passed away last year and they are starting to clean out the inventory. He has a a 100th anniversary tractor and it's serial number 2. Can anyone give me a good ball park figure I can help my brother in law with. Thanks, Mike

100th? There was a 75th Anniversary edition... I've seen them sell on eBay in the $5000 - $6000 range, perhaps a bit more, depending upon the hours and condition...

I've seen them go in the $3000 range word is out about the OHC engine its a bad design.

"word is out about the OHC engine its a bad design." Yes it was. :( Cost Kohler and Simplicity a lot to replace many of the Triad OHC's with Command OHV's.

local dealer has had a few of the 75th anniv for sale for several years...i think he has 2 or 3. no one wants em cause motor... last time i overheard dealer price 1 of em, i think it was 3500...

The 100th anniversary must really be worth alot if they didn't make one. It must be 75th anniversary, thanks for the help guys.......Mike

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I hope to get one when they come out, gas turbine.
Fuel cell. ^ Tacey Wise[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
"word is out about the OHC engine its a bad design." Yes it was. :( Cost Kohler and Simplicity a lot to replace many of the Triad OHC's with Command OHV's.
If I remember correctly, it was a bad design for a sovereign tractor. I seem to recall them getting lots of hours out of those OHC engines in other applications. I think it had something to do with the deck throwing grass on top of itself, then consequently the grass getting sucked into the blower housing, making the engine overheat and then go kaboom. The Triad was well ahead of its time... I would actually like to see Kohler go back to it at some point, because it did have potential...

IMHO the oil leak from the composite valve cover with the fuel pump mounted on it and the fuel pump cam lobe failure were design and manufacturing failures regardless of the application. The rapid timing pulley wear was no doubt increased by the large volume of abrasives from the mower deck blow back. The Triad OHC design was one of those that looked good on paper but failed when put into practice.

Nice analysis Roy, it was a piece of crap right. I'm looking to scaff one up for about 1500 after engine dies. They are cool looking.

"I'm looking to scarf one up for about 1500 after engine dies." Excellent idea. Would be a beautiful machine with the proper replacement engine. i.e. Kohler Command OHV or Honda V-twin or Briggs CI 16 hp.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
IMHO the oil leak from the composite valve cover with the fuel pump mounted on it and the fuel pump cam lobe failure were design and manufacturing failures regardless of the application. The rapid timing pulley wear was no doubt increased by the large volume of abrasives from the mower deck blow back. The Triad OHC design was one of those that looked good on paper but failed when put into practice.
I agree with that, but didn't Kohler correct this? I seem to remember doing more than a few cover replacements, but I thought there was an improved cover they came out with that corrected the situation. I'll have to look back in the manuals, but I think there was a serivce bulletin on it too. I don't mean that the Triad was the wonder engine, but I think it deserves more credit than some give it. It surely had faults, but nothing that couldnt have been corrected with a few engineering modifications. I bet that it would still be produced if Simplicity never put it in the Sovergin... JMHO

Andrew, It was Kohler and Simplicity stonewalling customers that was the big problem. Roy went through a lot to get the engine replaced.

Ambler, I feel Roy's pain. It took me two years and four letters. With the final to Weir with Lawyer words to get mine replaced. My engine had 85-100 hrs on it. So it might not have been a bad engine, but you are correct, it took some serious customer loyalty to stick that nightmare out and still support simplicity!!!!!!!!!1 Tim

Al Eden helped me with Simplicity and Kohler so the pain wasn't too bad although I did have to pay an authorized dealer to install one of his CH-18 conversion kits. My Triad OHC had 107 hours on it when it went South.