Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

garden tractor pulling

TimJr

A few weeks back, people were talking about pulling, so I dug out my photo album and sat down at the scanner. Here is my 7016 6-speed that I built and campaigned around my area in the early 2000's. This picture is from the end of the 2001 season. Had fun and did well. Tractor has been in storage for 3 years now, but I hope to get it out this summer a few times. Has the original Briggs single cast iron 16hp. Been warmed over some - running the factory 540PTO set up on a tractor PTO dyno it puts out around 22hp at around 4500 RPM. Has to run on 110 racing gas. Only has a single drive belt - got rid of the low range stuff. The tractor can never mow/till etc. anymore - cut off all that stuff to save weight. I got the tractor down to around 650lbs empty, and I weigh about 180, so that left lots of moveable weight for the 950 to 1200lb classes I pulled in. It was saved from being scrapped out - it wouldn't even steer anymore when I pulled it in - stuck. It took lots of work to get it looking and running like it did. Well worth it though. Tim

How much weight would it pull on average? nice picture thanks for sharing. JH

The hood has the name of a sponsor on it - The Power Shop. I got to use shop space and the truck and trailer to haul it around. I only did transfer sled pulls with it - not into dead weight pulls, so I don't really have a good answer for how much weight. I will try to post another picture that shows one of the sleds I pulled. The side shields were from a John Deere model 300 - part of the rules in one club to have the engine covered. Tim

so the tractor pulled in the 950# to 1200# class? Is there a conversion for the sled transfer? JH

John, There is no conversion. It depends on soil, moisture content, tires on the tractor, weights, and many more variables. The sleds are adjusted at the beginning of each class to stop the tractors. The driver has no idea how the sled is set. Did you have another ulterior motive in asking the question? Sounds like you have an idea and were wondering if a tractor could pull the amount of weight necessary. Depending on the situation, the tractor, how things are hooked up, etc, I know these tractors, in many instances, can drag 3000# or more of dead weight, on level ground. As I said, it depends on many factors. In some situations they can't even drag their own weight. John, do you remember the tandem pulling we had to do on the Eagle Scout project?

I have pulled 9500 lbs. rolling weight and have dragged 4000 lbs. dead weight (car with locked rear wheels) up a 6% grade on tar with my 7790.

Pretty heavy pulling, I do not have an ulterier motive, just curious. I remember the tandem set-up pulling those poles. JH

Here is a pic of one of the sleds I used to pull. It belongs to the Lightweight Eliminators in Allendale/Coopersville, MI. It is based on a Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd frame, transfer case and front axle. Steered by an electric lift cylinder. It was self propelled and powered by a Dodge Omni engine and trans, I think. The box was driven by a Peerless 4 speed like in a 112 John Deere. It had a hitch and could be towed down the road. I would say it weighed 2000lbs, and we would add up to around 1000lbs more to the box depending on the class and track if I remember right. I'm just not sure anymore - seems like someone used to say it was 5000lbs, but a whole Chevy 4wd truck didn't weigh that. This pic is from the limited modification Stock Altered class - had to run 23" tires, 5000 RPM limit, factory style carb etc.. Pretty sure it was a 13" drawbar height in that club. I used to change trans input pulleys between classes - I would speed up the trans to run the small tires. The stock Hi range pulley worked good with the 26" tires. Tim