Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sunrunner

LAME....question

sunrunner
The plastic gear finally went on the starter from a B&S L-head 16hp 422700 series on my 6216 - Going to look harder after work, but is there an easy way to replace/take out the starter/gear after the shields are off? and are their still metal starter gears out there - Thanks Chris

D-17_Dave
The gears are made of the nylock hard plastic for a reason. If they didn't wear and break you'd be replacing the ring gear now also. They are a common part and easily replaced. The important thingto remember is to check the rest of the starter drive assembly and make sure the spring and overun clutch is working properly.

2burning
If you end up buying a new starter, they do make a high torque one that is a little longer than the standard one for the Briggs Twin II with a 4-3/8" long housing. Briggs part #s 498148, 495100, or 399928 You may need to trim 1/4" of the sheet metal to fit.

Unkle Spike
I just found the starter gear bad in my 16hp Briggs, I also found the bushing in the bottom brush cap was bad, probably why the gear went out. Like others said check for the cause of the gear going out, that is easier than replacing gears often. I bought the gears off Ebay, there are a number of sellers, or check local, they aren't too expensive.

toomanytractors
Hi to all: I have run across a couple of Briggs starters that people thought were bad when the drive gear wouldn't engage. I was able to remove the cover and spray the gear with brakekleen, blow it dry with air and lubricate with silicone spray. This has to be done on the spiral part that screws the gear up into the ring gear. I realize this isn't necessarily what we're talking about here but just thought I'd pass this tip along. Regards, Dave

sunrunner
It looks like the gear got stuck in the top position of the spiral part and is very smooth now....How can I replace just the gear without pulling off the starter or should I get a new starter? plus do I have to pull the flywheel off to get to the starter bolt underneath it? Sorry, have not had time to "really" look at it due to work/hours....sleep....wife....etc.

MrSteele
There is no need to remove the flywheel to remove the starter. You'll need a 1/2" open end wrench to get to the starter bolts on most models, and a little perserverance helps, too. A few choice words later, you can remove the roll pin that keeps the gear from flying off the end of the shaft.

sunrunner
Could not wait till Monday.....Got it off with no problem, was much easier than at first glance - awaiting a new starter...Thanks again - Chrissm06