Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
perry

O/T dreadfull MTD rear rim removal

perry
what do you guys use to get the rear rims off a cheap MTD model tractor with the 1 bolt style rim?. i had one last week that would'nt move. i used PB blaster and then got so mad i had the rim glowing red and still would not move. i used a harmonic balancer puller with a air gun but it tore up the screw hole but eventuly came off. and the rim was junk after taking out my frustrations with the sledge hammer and the torch. now i have 2 rears to change tomarrow and im not looking forward to it

rentalboyzs
i just took mine off this past weekend so i could change sneakers i used kroil oil a little hammering to work kroil in and a harmonic puller on mine ( we swear my kroil at work ):D

firefoxz1
I had one on another type tractor that I never got off the axle. I even took the axle out and to the machine shop to their big press and it wouldn't budge. Just scrapped that axle. All said it sounds like you were going about it right.

toomanytractors
I've had success with this type of situation by heating the axle tube and quenching the whole thing with water. Does this cause a re-arrangement of the rust molecules???. Another method that has worked is to soak with penetrant and drive the wheel in toward the transaxle and then try to drive it back out. A couple of good blows with a socket right over the hub usually breaks the grip of the rust. Better Luck next time!!:D

goatfarmer
quote:
Is there any preventive measures that can be taken to help when it is time to remove the wheel? Dan aka IronPony
Never Seize would be a good start.

stevenj
You might want to try GM Heat Valve Lubricant instead of PB Blaster to loosen the rust. I have it on good recommendation that this works must better/faster than PB Blaster. It was used to loosen and lubricate the heat valve shaft in the exhaust manifolds that tended to rust up.

KenK
I have gone as far as cutting the tire off the rim.Then cutting the wheel off the axle with a torch.Then new rim,new tire.There has been a few times that I was able to change the tire while still mounted on the tractor.

perry
well guys, maybe someday someone will figure out a sure fire way to remove them. those 2 holes in the rim have to be for a puller. i cant see a mechanic taking all that time to replace a bad rim. i was a auto mechanic for many years, and with my patience there is no way i could deal with theese rims on a daily basis. but i guess after a week or so id come up with something. we'll get'er licked sooner or later. i will have many more of theese in the future.