Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Added Utility for my Backhoe

powermax_paul

A few months back I was looking for a Powermax mounted earth auger and never found one. I ended up buying n Ardisam one man powerhead and the auger for it. I ended up with a bad case of Arthritis in my shoulders because of it Well I was looking at Northern Tool and found a LSHT hydraulic motor with approximately the same specs as my powerhead. I made a bracket and coupling for it and moved the bucket cylinder hoses over to the motor. Viola!
[img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/auger1.jpg[/img]

Very nice Paul... Now I know who to hire when I'm ready to fence in my back yard:D:D^ What do you charge an hour again?:)

quote:
Originally posted by shanhamm
Very nice Paul... Now I know who to hire when I'm ready to fence in my back yard:D:D^ What do you charge an hour again?:)
dOd He's not cheap, But he does :|| good work!

NICE!! Was it fairly easy rig or a lot of fabrication? either way it should definitly ease the manual labor^.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
quote:
Actually, Kris is correct. I'm not cheap. I'd have to get at least $50 per hour including hauling time. As far as the good work part is concerned, 25-30% of my annual volume is from repeat customers. Paul

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
NICE!! Was it fairly easy rig or a lot of fabrication? either way it should definitly ease the manual labor^.
The Ardisam auger bit takes a 7/8" shaft to go into it. The hydraulic motor has a 1" shaft. I went to farm and fleet and bought two tapered sheave hubs, one 7/8 bore and one 1" bore and bolted them back to back. I welded a piece of 7/8 rod into the 7/8 hub and drilled and tapped the 1" hub for set screws. The bracket was a spare intermediate link that I never used for my backhoe bucket. I used a hole saw to cut for the motor counterbore and drilled the four holes for the motor face mount. The rest was plumbing. All in all, about 3 hours of fabrication. That's at my normal "putz" rate.

Could have used that last weekend. We drilled 32 holes to set the legs of seats into. Burned up the clutch on the first hand-held auger, took it back to the rental place and got another one. Building a small amphitheater at a local church as an Eagle Scout project. Doing the stage tomorrow.

Aren't you a little too old for boy scouts? :D Just kidding, I was an Eagle Scout myself, they told me back when I earned mine that it was the equivalant of a college education............

Mike, My youngest son just made Eagle Scout in February. There are about three of the older boys who I want to help with their Eagle Projects before I leave the troop for good. I have been an Assistant Scoutmaster since my son Randy first crossed over from Cub Scouts. We moved to this new troop about a year ago to help get them going. It is closer to our home, and in an entirely different district. The current troop has now been in existance for about 1 1/2 years. Randy was their first Eagle Scout. Small, young, troops with half a dozen boys are always more fun that the large ones with 40 or so boys. Less parents to have to deal with. My son Randy has also been a Counsellor at BSA Summer Camp with this being his fourth summer. It will probably be his last, since he starts college next fall in another state, and wants to go into the co-op program where he would alternate between college and work each semester till he graduates. Scouting has been great for him. He is one of the most mature 18 year olds that I have been around in quite a while. Most times he acts more mature than his 26 year old brother.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
quote:
Any price is a good price, appose to digging 40 holes with a post hole digger.:O:I