Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1 7/8" trailer ball that fits tractor?

cwlahr

Does anyone know of a supplier that has a 1 7/8" ball with a small enough shaft that fits in the trailer hitch on a garden tractor? I've been looking around and the smallest I can find is 3/4". I've seen old ones out there with 5/8" shafts or so, but maybe they aren't legal any longer?

I cut off a 3/4 and welded on a 1/2 inch bolt on mine. I don't belive they make a 1/2 inch shank ball. I mite be wrong though.

Northern tool may still carry the 5/8 shank balls,but they are actually more $$,i just drill out the hole in the hitch to 3/4"

Alternatively, get a 3" piece of steel, drill a hole in it to mount the larger shank. Then drill another hole to bolt it onto your hitch...

Thats what I ended up doing on one of my tractors Kent. I would hate to drill out the original hole. I was at a flea market the other week and some old guy had a ball there with a small shaft, and I was going to stop back and buy it, but totally forgot. I kick myself now.

Thanks Mick, I checked out Northern and found one. Now I have to measure and see if the hitch has a 5/8" hole for sure. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_31835_31835

I use an old 1 7/8" hitch ball with 5/8-11 UNC threads. I tap the original hole on my tractors, screw the ball in, and secure with a lock washer & nut. The hole in the tractor hitch is slightly oversize for a 5/8-11 tap but the ball could be used without the lock nut. Just like to make sure the ball will not become loose. Have tapped the hole on all my tractors. Oh, I did have a machine shop turn and thread the shank of a 2" ball strictly to use on my tractors.

Member John-Holcomb out here made some of those front/rear and rear hitches as another option too, I imagine he still has some left?: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80638

I used one of the older balls that had a carriage bolt through it for a while. The head of the carriage bolt was the very top of the ball. I just removed the bolt and replaced it with a smaller bolt and a large washer. That hollow ball is now welded to my hydraulic lifted hitch on my 716H. You can see the hole thru it in the picture below. I do not know where you could purchase one of these. I would guess that they were discontinued because they were lower in strength than a solid ball and would be more likely to come loose with a joint on both top and bottom.

Have you tried a lawnmower dealer?Seems like JohnDeere dealers used to carry the 1 7/8" balls with the 5/8" shank.I bought one somewhere one time.

Hi, I believe these balls are rated for a load of xx lbs, and going below 5/8" would not meet that level and a DOT standard says a 17/8 ball is safe for xxx lbs. Anyone selling a ball with a bolt with strength less than this rating would be exposed to a large liability claim. That is why you probably won't be able to buy one. Al Eden

Do they make a ball that takes a bolt from the bottom? I know they did in the past. Anyhow can one file/grind down a 1/2 nut to fit in the hold for the bolt and then weld it in with a tack or two?